Need software recommendations and a few Sierra questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JackDaniels3, Nov 23, 2016.

1. JackDaniels3 macrumors member

Hi,
    I’ve ordered the new MacBook Pro and it will be my first Mac, so I have to change a lot of things in my computer habits and some of the software that I used till now. I’m a Windows user for almost 20 years, so please be patient if any of my questions are relatively stupid :)

1. Does Sierra have some build-in app for documents scanning? Is it good enough or I have to search for dedicated software to use my scanner?

2. Please recommend a reliable FTP client. I use “Cute FTP” on Windows and there is a Mac version, but I’m searching for alternatives anyway.
    It should have secured “address book” (with option to export/import), file preview and code edit (with Cyrillic support).

3. For file archives I use WinRar and it works with both RAR and ZIP files, but sadly, no MacOS version. I need an alternative which works with both formats, can be used directly from context menus in Finder and doesn’t generate the crappy additional files in the archives.

4. I use Google Gmail for contacts and calendar storing and Gmail syncs perfectly with my iPhone native Calendar and Contacts apps. Can I expect the same flawless Gmail sync with Sierra native Contacts and Calendar apps?

5. I have 7 email accounts and on my Windows machine I use Mozilla Thunderbird email client. On the Mac I want to use the native mail app, but as far as know, there are a lot of issues, related with the html signature usage and if that’s true, I have to look for third party software. Any suggestions?

6. Do I have to use some app for cleaning temp/cached files and left-overs form removed software or Sierra is smart enough not to leave crap on the drive?

7. Any suggestions for at least basic level of malware protection? I download a lot of stuff, test unsigned software and sometimes browse dark web so I don’t want to count on the “no viruses for Mac” mantra.

8. As far as I understand, Macs come with factory baked Sierra installation file. What happen with that installation file after OS update in future? If I wipe out my Mac, I have to first install from the factory installation file and then download and update to the newest version… or the newer version will replace the factory version file and will become a starting point for installing of the OS? Or I totally misunderstood the whole installation concept and just wrote a load of crap!?

9. My music library is in FLAC format so I do a lot of audio converting. I use “EZ CD Audio Converter” on Windows to convert my audio files, extract separated songs from cue files and so on. It’s outstanding software, but.. yep.. no Mac version :( So now I need to figure out what to use that will provide similar functionality and most importantly – the same quality.

10. Any suggestions for simple video cutter/trimmer that works without re-compression?

Appreciate any help and advices that you can provide! :)

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

1. Does Sierra have some build-in app for documents scanning? Is it good enough or I have to search for dedicated software to use my scanner?​

It sorta depends on your scanner. And some stuff you already have may scan, assuming appropriate drivers, etc. macOS comes with Image Capture, a sort of generic application for scanning and importing photos. It might work to send stuff to applications you have; it could send to Evernote for example.

4. I use Google Gmail for contacts and calendar storing and Gmail syncs perfectly with my iPhone native Calendar and Contacts apps. Can I expect the same flawless Gmail sync with Sierra native Contacts and Calendar apps?​

It should work fine if set up properly. The fact you got it working fine in iOS should mean you'll have no problem on the macOS.

5. I have 7 email accounts and on my Windows machine I use Mozilla Thunderbird email client. On the Mac I want to use the native mail app, but as far as know, there are a lot of issues, related with the html signature usage and if that’s true, I have to look for third party software. Any suggestions?​

I dunno about HTML signature issues, but I use SigPro for my signatures with Apple Mail (and Mailtags and Mail Act-On, all of which I love). Why not Thunderbird on the Mac though?

6. Do I have to use some app for cleaning temp/cached files and left-overs form removed software or Sierra is smart enough not to leave crap on the drive?​

You don't need any application for that. It will occasionally leave some junk around but are you really gonna worry about a 4k pref file somewhere? Don't worry about it, and if there's an issue you can always use the Terminal application to do most all of that.

7. Any suggestions for at least basic level of malware protection? I download a lot of stuff, test unsigned software and sometimes browse dark web so I don’t want to count on the “no viruses for Mac” mantra.​

I don't think you need it, esp for viruses. Adware and other malware can be an issue, but usually requires one to use one's brain rather than a software fix. There are some open source adware removal tools out there should you run into a problem. There's a clever ransomware prevention tool out there that works quite well IMHO: RansomWhere? by Objective-See. https://objective-see.com/products/ransomwhere.html

8. As far as I understand, Macs come with factory baked Sierra installation file. What happen with that installation file after OS update in future? If I wipe out my Mac, I have to first install from the factory installation file and then download and update to the newest version… or the newer version will replace the factory version file and will become a starting point for installing of the OS? Or I totally misunderstood the whole installation concept and just wrote a load of crap!?​

Most download the OS and then keep that somewhere, since when it gets downloaded to the Applications folder it will auto-delete itself after installation. There are utilities, Terminal commands, etc to use with it for various uses, even pulling out components. Macs also have a stripped down OS on the recovery partition. But I always keep an installer setup on a thumbdrive. I might have to then run an incremental update, but that's no biggie. You could also do a clone.

10. Any suggestions for simple video cutter/trimmer that works without re-compression?​

I think QuickTime included with the OS can still do that.

3. dwig macrumors 6502

It depends a lot on what scanner you have. I would recommend starting with the app provided by your scanner's manufacturer.

If use FileZilla, but it is just an FTP client without preview or code edit functions.

I'm not aware of any archiving files that generate additional files. What is commonly seen by Linux and Windows users are Mac files that are generated by the MacOS, not by the archiving application. These files are normally hidden from view on the MacOS but are always present. I'm not aware of any archiving apps that have the option of omitting/deleting these Mac-specific hidden files, though one may exist.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Keka has a setting to remove the hidden DS_store files before archiving (my favourite part), you can use it from the context menu (makes the preselected archive), and works with both but only extracts RAR.

http://www.kekaosx.com/en/
    Compression formats supported:
    7z, Zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, DMG, ISO

Extraction formats supported:
    RAR, 7z, Lzma, xz, Zip, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, ISO, EXE, CAB, PAX

Its free on the website (accepts donations), or you can buy it on the App store (as a donation).

5. JackDaniels3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys!

Hmm. Okay, basically here's what I wanna do:
    When my mac arrive, I'll set it up, test for factory issues and then wipe it out and install Sierra again. I don't want to use the factory baked installation, I want a fresh copy, downloaded from Apple.
    So, I don't need to download Sierra before the wipe out, it can be downloaded and installed from the recovery screen, correct?

I prefer not to. It's HP and their software is a complete overkill.

I forgot to ask:
    Do I need a pdf printer driver in order to export documents in pdf format?
    Is ExFAT reliable enough for a flash drive stick file system or I have to deal with the FAT limitations in order to achieve Windows comparability.

6. 8692574 Suspended

Factory installation and wipe and install are the same thing, the factory install does not have anything more / less (don't understand why a dloaded version would be better...it is the same), but yes you can format and reinstall just like windows from the recovery partition without downloading anything.

7. JackDaniels3 thread starter macrumors member

The point is to AVOID installing from the factory baked Sierra copy. I have my reasons.

8. 8692574 Suspended

Well care to explain them (instead of having an attitude)?' Just because I don't understand why you do it does not make it silly, and your reasons might be valid for me next time......

9. JackDaniels3 thread starter macrumors member

It's not about attitude, I just didn't think anyone will be interested.
    1. There is a MacBook Pro 2016 battery drama and it seems that newer Sierra installations make things better.
    2. I do not trust factory baked software. Seems that sometimes there are problems/diferences with it and my personal experience confirms that.

I just prefer to do it from the beginning instead of doing it later.

So..

10. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

Im quite new to mac myself but I use mozzilla thunderbird with 4 email accounts on my macs with no problem.

It that's what you are used to just stick with it.

As for scanning files I plugged in or told my mac to search network for my scanners some are usb some are wifi.
    Sierra auto downloaded the software and I can scan from preferences and printers.

I do scan items at work this way.

11. KALLT macrumors 601

If you don’t trust ‘factory-baked’ software, then you should not be using any devices with preinstalled firmware in the first place. Apple does not sell any devices without that anymore. When you buy the MacBook new and sealed, there is nothing to worry about. The first reason you gave is also not very convincing and actually of bad faith. Just spare yourself the time and data and just use what is installed, and most of all: relax and let the system sink in.

The biggest mistake ‘switchers’ make is making assumptions about Macs when they only ever used Windows PCs. Apple is not delivering pre-baked spyware like some Asian manufacturers do.

12. JackDaniels3 thread starter macrumors member

This is why I prefer not to explain why I wanna do this or that. There's always someone that just insist to prove me wrong. I didn't ask should or shouldn't I reinstall Sierra. I just asked how to do it.

I trust Apple software, I don't trust factory preinstalled software. I'm not talking about some spyware or some similar crap. It's about "baking" process and possible minor version differences, related to "when" the OS is baked. I just want to install Sierra copy, downloaded from Apple's servers during the setup process or manually by me before that. That's all.

Well, on Windows Thunderbird is ugly and sometimes annoys me with some settings, but I can live with it I guess :)
    As for the scanner - this sounds as exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

13. KALLT macrumors 601

You asked for advice and I give it. Sorry, but the reasoning remains inconsistent. Do what you want, but in public fora I will try to disprove such assertions when I see them. You can download the software from Apple, as was already stated above.

14. JackDaniels3 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry, I was little harsh to you.
    Thank you for the help :)

15. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

For reference I have a epson BX300F usb all in one at work and at home an epson SX455W and an samsung C410W.

My sierra and El capitan macs installed all 3 on there own from preferences panel this is much like control panel in windows.
    I too am about 15-20 year windows user recently switched to mac due to windows 10 and my hate of it.

Office 2011 for mac can be found online or even the free libre office.

It may take a week or two (it did for me) to get used to new system but it much better in my opinion.
    Oh you might want look into paragon ntfs driver.
    Natively mac cannot write to ntfs windows formated drives. I bought it after using the 30 day trial.

I still have to work with windows machines at work.

16. JackDaniels3 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know. While waiting for the release of the new MacBook Pro, I had a lot of time to read about the differences between those two "worlds" :)

I was thinking to use Paragon or other NTFS driver, but then I realized that I can use Google Drive instead.
    But I do plan to use flash USB Sticks so here's the next question - Is ExFAT reliable enough for a flash drive stick or I have to deal with the FAT limitations in order to achieve reliable Windows comparability?

17. dwig macrumors 6502

Unless your apps have their own native PDF generation ability (e.g. MS Word, LibreOffice, Adobe Photoshop, ...) then "yes" you need a PDF printer driver. The good news is that the macOS (all recent versions) has its own built in PDF printer driver as part of its native printing engine. You do not need a 3rd party version.

Yes, exFAT is a good format for either flash drives or external hard drives. It's been in Windows since XPsp3 and appeared on the Mac with 10.6.5, so unless you need to deal with some antiques you'll find it works very well. NTFS is somewhat more fault tolerant but the MacOS native support for NTFS is read-only. There are 3rd party add-ins that provide full read/write/format abilities, but they have their issues and often require updating when the MacOS updates. I've used exFAT for years on several portable drives than move back and forth between various Macs and Windows machines that I and my wife use with absolutely no problems.[/QUOTE]