Need Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MarcG, Nov 13, 2007.

1. MarcG macrumors newbie

I'm an old-line, emulsion-based amateur photographer. Finding my Nikon F and FE2 SLRs rather long in the tooth, I've made the leap to digital photography (not counting the surprisingly capable point and shoot digital cameras I've owned for snapshots). I've added a Nikon D80 and an assortment of proper Nikkor glass.

I've used Macs from the beginning of time, however. Even the pre-Mac Lisa. No longer able to upgrade my G4 iMac, I now have a new Intel-powered iMac and Leopard.

I have no prejudice towards or against any software suite. I'm well aware, however, that I'll need to move beyond iPhoto. I've read the various Aperture vs Lightroom threads. It seems, however, that most perspectives are based on the poster's past software experience. I need to get a handle on workflow. Presently, I import via Nikon Picture Project and then need to export to iPhoto. Is there any reason that these applications cannot share the same library?

I am open to any and all constructive advice. Thanks!

Marc

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You can only really "share" photos with iLife + Aperture. Everything else needs to be reimported.