Need Software Suggestion for Lexicon and Index

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Val-kyrie, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I am looking for a software program or a set of programs to accomplish the following two tasks:

(1) to create a specialized German lexicon based on articles in a specialized field of study. I would like to be able to list terms in alphabetical order, list definitions/glosses, list sources, and I would like it to be searchable.

(2) to create an index of tech articles for myself for reference. It would be preferable if I could create an index and then be able to hyperlink to text articles which I would scan in from magazines I own.

I figure that these projects might require using a database program but I am at a loss on where to start. I am fairly tech-literate and don't mind learning a program to accomplish the goal. The software may be Mac- or Windows- based the latter of which I could run through Parallels if necessary. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. justG macrumors member

justG

Off the top of my head, there are two applications that might fight the bill: DEVONthink and Journler.

DEVONthink:
    - is not free
    + is a repository for pretty much any file type
    + has a "Pro Office" version that will even handle the scanning/OCR for you
    - stores everything in a big ol' database (greater risk of getting corrupted/lost)

Journler:
    + is donationware for personal use, or $25
    + is a repository for pretty much any file type
    + as of the recently released v2.5, does the Lexicon thing
    + is actively developed at a ridiculously fast pace and has phenomenal support
    + is insanely scriptable, is *so* extensible through AppleScript that it actually motivates you to want to learn AppleScript
    + stores entries as individual files that are simply rtf documents with some proprietary metadata, so no matter what, data is always accessible even if something in Journler goes wonky

Hope that helps.

3. Val-kyrie thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks

I will start with these two programs and move on from there. Thank you.