Need software to remote into my Imac from Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mindquest, Jul 1, 2010.

1. mindquest macrumors regular

I have an iMac at home and use my Macbook Pro when at work or traveling. I need a way to remote into my Imac at home for the rare occasion I need to use it.

Can anyone recommend what software would work for this?

New to Mac so thanks for your thoughts on this in advance!

Cheers!

2. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

I found logmein but not sure if this is the best choice.

any thoughts?

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you have MobileMe (and you can trial it for free, I think) you can share folders, and do something called "Screen Sharing" where your remote system's desktop (i.e. the iMac) can appear as a window in the host system (the MacBook Pro).

When it's setup, and its easy to setup - just setting up an account at MobileMe, and ticking a couple of boxes, essentially - and your iMac will appear in the Finder sidebar when you are on the MBP. Clicking on it will "connect" you, initially just the HD and folders will appear - and you can move and copy files back and forth. For most of what I do, this is enough. But you can also "Screen Share". I do most of my work on my desktop system, and travel with my notebook. One thing that simplified my life was Screen Sharing back to the desktop to read my email. I don't need to "synchronize" the email, because I am really reading it as if I am at the primary system. I do this from hotel rooms, and from the other side of the house.

Congratulations on your new Mac and good luck.

There is something called MRoogle that someone is going to suggest you try (surprised they haven't popped up yet - must be watching 22 men kick a ball around). It's a way of looking for answers to questions you have, that a lot of other people have had before. Anyway, try that next time you have a question. You are not the first to switch. In the top menu bar of the Mac Rumour site there is a Search function. Use that to find MRoogle, because [whispering] I've never actually used it... but I'm told it's useful... [/whispering]

Cheers and all that.... :)

4. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I use TeamViewer and it works great. I also have it on my iphone and I can access my MBP, windows desktop and IMac all from it.

5. mindquest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions! Just tried the screen sharing and it works great@

6. oilfighter macrumors regular

I recommend LogMeIn

There's an iphone/ipad app for it. For the occasion where you need to remote control either computer when you're away.

7. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I've been using the screen sharing function in ichat. Didn't know it existed until my son showed me...great feature built right in.