Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I have a 13 inches MBA 2011 128gig

I have like 20gig left on my HDD

I have 30gig of VMs
and 15gig of Pictures + music

Which makes 65gig so i should have much more space left, is there a software (free if possible) that will inspect my HDD and tell mw what is taking up so much space

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
  • For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
    OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs
  • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
  • Check your drive with Disk Utility: Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks
  • Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
I second DaisyDisk. It's an excellent app to quickly find where large amounts of storage are going.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Check the trash can and empty it. If you're a heavy deleter, you'll probably see a large increase in disk space after that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As I said earlier, some of these apps may show more detail than others, so it's best to try several. You may find that one app shows more detail in one situation, where another app shows more in a different situation.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I always just go into the finder and activate the "show all sizes" in the view setting.

That way you can sort the directories on size and open every directory to see what the biggest files are in there. That way you easily see what big files are there on your system.

Enzedder

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
I have a 13 inches MBA 2011 128gig

I have like 20gig left on my HDD

I have 30gig of VMs
and 15gig of Pictures + music

Which makes 65gig so i should have much more space left, is there a software (free if possible) that will inspect my HDD and tell mw what is taking up so much space

Thanks

Grand Perspective is exactly what you need.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I recently removed 25 gigs (maybe 20 I forget) of iPhone backups from my brother in laws computer, make sure theres not a whole bunch of those in your iTunes if you have iOS devices.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
This seems to be one issue that people just can't seem to search and find the answer for. It's been discussed countless times before. The "missing" space is being held by the system as a backup snapshot. The system will make room as you need it. You can, if you're anal about stuff like this, turn off local snapshots.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
That is not always the issue, as some have this issue even if they don't use Time Machine. Read the 2nd post in this thread.

True, but $5 says this issue, as has come up in countless threads, is related to the backup snapshot. There should be a sticky for this "issue" so that new mba owners don't keep posting the same "where's my memory" questions.

Nov 28, 2010
located
True, but $5 says this issue, as has come up in countless threads, is related to the backup snapshot. There should be a sticky for this "issue" so that new mba owners don't keep posting the same "where's my memory" questions.

Stickies or guides are hardly read anyway, thus the link collections some posters have to link to for those users, who didn't find anything.

Like this one: What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.