Need solid mouse recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mobydick01, Jun 21, 2014.

1. mobydick01, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

mobydick01 macrumors member

I am setting up a new workstation and I need to get a mouse, ASAP. The mouse will be used primarily as a desktop mouse when I use my MacBook Air but may also be used occasionally with an iMac. My requirements are as follows:

1) No headaches or other funny business with drivers, etc. It just needs to work all the time as a great mouse.

2) In addition to left and right click, I prefer to have a button dedicated to Mission Control and another dictated to Launchpad. If I can have another dedicated to showing the desktop, that will be ideal, but is not essential.

3) Wireless.

I will primarily use this mouse while writing programs--either in Eclipse or TextWrangler--typically under time constraints... just needs to be a solid mouse so I can get work done. I just ordered a Das Keyboard and want an excellent (but not too expensive) mouse to compliment the keyboard. I was looking at some of the Logitechs--as I've had good luck with different models in the past--but more than anything I want to know if there is another great option out there.

Thanks

2. BCrutchfield, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

BCrutchfield macrumors newbie

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...P3JqqPfjL8CFUZbfgodC2QAPg&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Logitech Performance Mouse MX all the way. Been using it for 5 years. Comfortable, accurate, has the programmable buttons.

The only issue you may have is if you use it many hours per day for as long as I have is the micro-switches will start malfunctioning. The mouse uses Omron micro-switches you can get in pairs on Ebay for $2. With those and a small set of screwdrivers I have no doubt you can keep this mouse going for over a decade and not really want for much. This micro-switch problem has been an issue with pretty much any modern mouse if you put in tens of thousands of left clicks per week over a course of years. The Logitechs are very easy to fix, so I just wanted to list this as a 'feature', I suppose.

My $.02

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I third the Logitech Performance MX. I have one for each of my computers and they've been great and highly reliable.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I only use Logitech. Even their cheap models work great.

7. CtotheP macrumors regular

I recommend any of the Logitech mouses. Performance MX, m510, m310' etc. I've used them all with different Macs and never had an issue!

8. mobydick01 thread starter macrumors member

Well it seems there is an overwhelming consensus... Looks like I'll be ordering the Logitech! Thanks!

9. flashrebel macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Today I bought Logitech MX Performance, its great, but tommorow I will give it back to store :)

Middle button does not works well and how I ready many topics anywhere, its not only on my mouse, but its globaly problem. Also left/right on middle button does not work well.

I m really disapointed with this, Logitech selling this bugy piece for few years with so huge problem ?

I really use middle button often for middle click - page in new tab, so I can not live without it :)

Searching some mouse, but did not find, what to buy now ... I m still using my old Logitech G700 which is great, but its old now, so need to replace it.

Checked Mad catz rat 9, but not sure, probably just fashion mouse, I prefer stay in Logitech but now after today, this company lost a lot in reputation in my eyes.

Btw. I m surprised, that so many users recommend this mouse and its ranked like on of the best, but nobody mention that problem with middle button ? Or maybe just some production package had problem with that ?

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's too bad about the mouse; I'm sure it's a fluke because the satisfaction rate with it is very high. I've had 4 of them, still have 3 and gave 1 away and they've all been great for me.

11. flashrebel macrumors newbie

It is not fluke, bc. full of forum about this problem. Will try to change this piece for another today .... bc. I really like how mouse is comfortable and how it looks.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My suggestion before you take it back:

DE-install the Logitech mouse driver.

INSTALL USB Overdrive.

Any difference in performance?

13. flashrebel, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

flashrebel macrumors newbie

Hi,

It is not software problem, its hardware about, even did not feel ''click''
    I m curently few minutes with another piece of MX Performance (changed it in store)
    Now I can feel and hear that middle click, its much better, but still its problematic.
    There is some ungle problems, I need to find trick how to push it right.

Anyways, its still not in the same quality how I used with G700, where it register every middle click.

I will keep this piece, bc. I did reseach yesterday and really nothing comparable to this mouse - even with design. I dont like cheap design.

Will try it and will post how its going with it later :)

Edit: If not satisfied, still 2 pieces in my eyes - Logitech G700s (almost the same like my old G700) and Mad Catz Rat 9 (did not handle it, just looks cool :) need to try it somewhere)

14. flashrebel macrumors newbie

So after 2 days of using this mouse ... I can say, this mouse its not so good how I read reviews anywhere. Sure it looks nice and its ok, its big what I like, handle well for my hand, but middle scroll button its horrible, really horrible on any way. Middle click is just bugy and not good designed. Function for horizontal scrolling with this button its even worse, but this probably almost nobody use. For that scrolling function is probably so bugy that clicking.

If I compare this mouse to gaming mouse Logitech G700, only battery stays much longer, what is naturaly, bc. not so high dpi and other things what gaming mouses ussually have.

Even plug in to mouse with cable looks cheaper and its softer compared to G700.
    2 buttons - forward and backward are too high on not ergonomics angle, also harder to click on them compared to G700.

For normal user its good mouse, but I handle it about 8 hours per day and mostly use middle click, so its paintful for me. I can live with this mouse and can use it, but probably will change it for new model G700s. I dont care much about battery life, bc. can use mouse with cord or even change battery frenquency, bc. have charger and many batteries. This I like on these mouse - that are not dependent only on changing battery or some charger, but also charging via cable during working with it.

I use it on iMac 27' late 2013, software is ok, everything works well without problem from installation. Even without installation it works well, just was not possible to set buttons on mouse.
    So unpacked, plugin small receiver and mouse work without problem.

What I like on this mouse is is ''Lower thumb button'' which is naturaly well positioned. Also ''Zoom'' button is on right place.

So at all I dont recommend this mouse. I m really disapointed with this mouse, as what I read, it is marked as one of the best and popular .... on other side I m not surprised with this state, bc. not many choice in market for high end mouses. Personaly I think ... high end mouses does not exist curently for office works. Just few gaming mouse can compete there maybe ...

Who dont need big mouse, I think Logitech have some better pieces.

(oh this is my first review of something what I remember and its so long :D)