Need solution for altering myself to notes I took for myself

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aszekely, Oct 22, 2012.

1. aszekely macrumors newbie

Sorry for the potentially confusing post title, but here's what I am looking to do. I want to be able to make a note to myself on some app on my iPhone and then have that same note appear automatically on my Mac when I get back to the office as an open application.

For example, I am in a meeting and suddenly remember that I need to call someone as soon as I get back to the office. I don't want to add it to OmniFocus or some other task manager. I want a window open in my computer when I get back to the office that says nothing in it but "Call John Adams".

I'm willing to spend a few bucks to make this work. My first thought was to create a folder in use SugarSync's iPhone app's ability to create a text file in a folder called "Notes to Self" and have Hazel monitor it and then launch a text editor to display that file when a new one is added. Would something like that work?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Nocs to create or edit notes and sync them via Dropbox between iPhones and computers. I can create or edit any note in TextEdit on the Mac or Notepad on a Windows PC. However, it won't automatically launch an app or open a window on your computer. You'd have to check the Dropbox folder for new or updated documents. You might be able to use Applescript to automatically open any new or updated documents in the Dropbox folder.

3. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Do it for free...create a free iClouds account, and use either the Notes app, Reminders, or both. See if that works before buying something...

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, I would just use Notes or Reminders (whichever interface you prefer) and leave the application running on the computer.

jW

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I do this all the time.... it's easy. I take a pen and write a note on my palm. It's free, it's fast. Best of all, it goes with you ... so if you make a detour between the meeting and your office the note goes with you, reminding you that it's time to get back to the office and make that call.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are a few problems with that approach:

Data integrity: If you get nervous, sweaty palms could corrupt your data.
    Malware: If you cover your mouth when you cough, your data could contain a virus.
    Privacy: If you shake hands with someone wearing a palm scanner, they can steal your data.

:D

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes... all true... malware especially at this time of year. On the plus side, this system is robust enough to survive any power outages or gamma-ray bursts.

ps If you knew my handwriting you'd know that I'd be completely safe from palm scanners. There isn't a system that can beat that level of encryption.

:)

8. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Evernote. Although if you already have OmniFocus, I'm not sure why you wouldn't use that, since the use case you explained is exactly within OmniFocus's wheelhouse.