Need solution for online storage (backup not necessary)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PaperQueen, May 28, 2010.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

To our ever-wonderful mods: If this is in the wrong forum, please forgive me. Not quite sure where it fits......

I desperately need some offsite (online) storage for 26+ Gb of photos that are currently on an external hard drive. Don’t need syncing or automated backup since this is really a virtual filing cabinet kind of scenario. Ideally, I’d love to find something realistically affordable that would hold 50 Gb of stored files so a lot of “stale but necessary stuff” could be archived offsite.

I’m not a fan of using Mobile Me for this since I’ll probably bump it to the minimum level—or can it entirely—when it comes up for renewal in June (prefer Dropbox and ChrashPlan combination for backups and syncs). Besides, it’s pretty pricey if intended as a static storage option.

Suggestions, anyone?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it's photos, consider smugmug. Storage is "unlimited", but if you want a convenient method of retrieval (i.e. downloading a whole batch of them) they charge you.

http://www.smugmug.com

3. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Since I don’t need/want automatic backups for this (I’m essentially looking for an offsite filing cabinet), these feel a bit like overkill, especially for the price of storing 50 Gb of data.

Is it possible to also store other non-photo items? Nearly half of what I want to put on a server somewhere is made up of documents.

As any FYI, everything I’ve read online that gets into services with automatic sync warns against using external hard drives (which is where all this is stored out of necessity). Several caution that if the drive goes offline, the sync can/may wipe out your online data, seeing it as a deleted data.

Crazy, I know. I’d just leave the files alone on external hard drive if not for the fact I’ve been through a data loss before, and don’t want to ever risk that again.