Need Some Advice before Buying! :)

blanco.juanfeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm planning to get a baseline 13 inch :apple: Macbook Air, but im just not sure if 4 GB are enough for my need, and if it is worth the extra 130 dollars (Macmall)... I´ll basically use it for iWork, MS Office, very Light gamming, lots of web surfing and maybe running windows occasionally using a VM, and I plan to keep it for at least 3 to 4 years, so do you think that the upgrade is necessary?

I´m also considering a MacBook Pro, becuase of its "Upgradability", but i just cant justify spnding $1200 on a 1200x800 screen and a traditional 5400 RPM Hard-drive...

BTW: Sorry for my bad english

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
4GB should be enough for everything you listed except VMs.

It's doable, but you'll definitely take a performance hit while you have a VM running since your RAM will be split between OS X and your VM. If you plan on using the VM often and require performance, get 8GB RAM. If not, 4GB is enough.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
if it is worth the extra 130 dollars (Macmall)
That $130 difference is very minor if you intend to keep your computer for a long time. If you don't intend on keeping it for a long time, it will probably result in you getting ~$100 more on ebay for it (compared to a similar 4GB model) during the first few years.

Go for it.

lithium1330

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
My MBA arrived last week. I got the 13.3/8/128.... and I'm very happy with it so far.
IMHO, you'll want to get the RAM if you can afford it - if you can't... bag lunch for a couple wks to pay for it. While 4G may be OK to start, once you start running more/different programs (and you'll use the MBA often)...you'll wish you have more RAM. Like PC's... when performance slows, RAM is typically first thing people say to upgrade. $130 is a no brainer. For me, I'm OK with less HD space since I can expand via a NAS and cloud for extra storage.

Macmall has a special now you can get parallel for $9... and if you buy through fatwallet, you get ~30bux cash back. G'luck.

blanco.juanfeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
THANKS GUYS, I'VE DECIDED TO GET THE BASE 13 WITH 8GB OF RAM!! :D :D

After some research, I've come to that conclusion... It might be enough for a while, but in a few months/years I will need it! With newer programs and operating systems, more memory will be needed :p

4GB should be enough for everything you listed except VMs.

It's doable, but you'll definitely take a performance hit while you have a VM running since your RAM will be split between OS X and your VM. If you plan on using the VM often and require performance, get 8GB RAM. If not, 4GB is enough.
That's true and as I don't wan't to use Bootcamp(Not as practical as a VM) I will need that extra memory sooner than latter!

I say go for 8GB. 4GB is fine now, but in 3-4 years maybe you'll need more.
Yep, I'm already spending +$1200 on a computer, so $130 more is not a big deal, specially considering the benefits! Better to have and not need, than to need and not have :cool:

And I don't want it to be obsolete in a year!

That $130 difference is very minor if you intend to keep your computer for a long time. If you don't intend on keeping it for a long time, it will probably result in you getting ~$100 more on ebay for it (compared to a similar 4GB model) during the first few years.

Go for it.
Congrats on your new Air! I'll be ordering mine in a few weeks, from Macmall I guess... Its nice to know that they have such an amazing disscount on Parallels, but sadly a new version is comming soon lol!

My MBA arrived last week. I got the 13.3/8/128.... and I'm very happy with it so far.
IMHO, you'll want to get the RAM if you can afford it - if you can't... bag lunch for a couple wks to pay for it. While 4G may be OK to start, once you start running more/different programs (and you'll use the MBA often)...you'll wish you have more RAM. Like PC's... when performance slows, RAM is typically first thing people say to upgrade. $130 is a no brainer. For me, I'm OK with less HD space since I can expand via a NAS and cloud for extra storage.

Macmall has a special now you can get parallel for $9... and if you buy through fatwallet, you get ~30bux cash back. G'luck.