Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I need a little help choosing a new imac. I do a lot of 3D work and I've recently started applying my 3D skills to making mobile games in Unity 3D. Unfortunately, I am currently locked down to making games for Android sense iOS development requires a Mac computer.

I have very little experience with Mac other than a 3 month college photoshop class but I am really looking forward to getting away from Windows. I've been looking at a 21.5" iMac but I'm having a hard time deciding which specs to get.

I'm going back and forth between the top of the line 21.5" with the Nvidia GPU and the 2nd tier that has the Intel Iris Pro GPU. As much as I really want the Nvidia, it's a little pricey.

Is there any one out there with the Intel Iris unit that is using it for 3d modeling, or other GPU and CPUS heavy task? The programs I will be using are:

1. Maya (or 3Ds Max through bootcamp)

2. Unity 3D

3. Photoshop

4. Vue

Will the iris be good enough? I won't be doing any gaming on it (other than testing my own games). My current Windows laptop has a 2.3GZ CPU, 4gb of Ram and a 512mb ATI GPU. It runs all of these programs OK but it will lock up if I try to run more than one of these programs at once (example: modeling in 3Ds Max and having photoshop open at the same time to make a texture).

Any help is appreciated.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
The upgraded GPU is aimed exactly at people running those apps. You will get a lot of benefit from it.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
I need a little help choosing a new imac. I do a lot of 3D work and I've recently started applying my 3D skills to making mobile games in Unity 3D. Unfortunately, I am currently locked down to making games for Android sense iOS development requires a Mac computer.

I have very little experience with Mac other than a 3 month college photoshop class but I am really looking forward to getting away from Windows. I've been looking at a 21.5" iMac but I'm having a hard time deciding which specs to get.

I'm going back and forth between the top of the line 21.5" with the Nvidia GPU and the 2nd tier that has the Intel Iris Pro GPU. As much as I really want the Nvidia, it's a little pricey.

Is there any one out there with the Intel Iris unit that is using it for 3d modeling, or other GPU and CPUS heavy task? The programs I will be using are:

1. Maya (or 3Ds Max through bootcamp)

2. Unity 3D

3. Photoshop

4. Vue

Will the iris be good enough? I won't be doing any gaming on it (other than testing my own games). My current Windows laptop has a 2.3GZ CPU, 4gb of Ram and a 512mb ATI GPU. It runs all of these programs OK but it will lock up if I try to run more than one of these programs at once (example: modeling in 3Ds Max and having photoshop open at the same time to make a texture).

Any help is appreciated.

if your using those apps I would get the highest spec you could afford as it will definitely help.

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks for your help guys. It looks like the Nvidia model is the way to go. I guess I'll look into an open box return or an Apple refurbished unit to save some money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.