Need some advice here

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EV0LUTION, May 25, 2011.

1. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I just moved into a new apartment, my current roommate (randomly assigned) is a massive pot head. I have asked him multiple times to stop smoking in the house, I even got management involved however, he is still smoking in the house. The smell makes me horribly sick and travels into my room making my cloths smell like pot. I'm working as a runner at a law firm trying to get through college, and can't smell like that or I will get fired. I'm to the point now that I'll call the police if he does it again. My question here is if I call the police could I get into any trouble, due to the fact that I knew he was smoking pot going on 3 weeks now.

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

No, you can't get in trouble just because you knew he was doing it and did not report it.

I say go ahead and call the police. You have tried all the friendlier options. You can even explain what you already did to the officer.

The only thing I do caution you on, and the only reason I say this is because I do not know exactly how things are set up, is making sure that none of his drugs or drug paraphernalia is in any part of the apartment that is strictly under your control, such as your bedroom. If you share a bedroom then just make sure none if it us near your bed or under your stuff.

If it makes you feel any better, I am by no means an expert but I have been through a police academy here in FL.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd say since youve tried asking him nicely and he won't stop go ahead and report him to the police.

4. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I think it might be a good idea to make sure you've got any communications about this with the management documented (and backed up) just in case.

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

You are trying to be a responsible individual, working towards your future, and this selfish roommate of yours could seriously jeopardize that. I would take the situation in hand before someone else does, like a neighbor who smells the pot, or sees him smoking. If he wants to do this, he has no right to do it "in your face" like that - it's just the height of selfishness/self-entitlement. He obviously cares nothing about your feelings, so please don't feel ANY guilt and take care of YOURSELF!

6. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

The property owner and/or it's agent (the property management company) have a duty and an obligation to provide a safe, legal, habitable residence.

I would demand they begin steps to move him or you immediately, or otherwise you'll move out and expect no penalties, fees, or withholding of deposits or positive references in the future.

Document this clearly, and keep a file.

You will have to be proactive on this.

7. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Thanks Guys, I'll report him the next time he starts smoking again.

I've spoken with management, they called his guarantor but that did nothing. They are also refusing to move me to another unit until my lease is up.

I'm also having one of the lawyers at the law firm I work for draft a letter to management requesting for an eviction.

8. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

Just wanted to update you guys on the situation.

I had to go to the hospital saturday because my allergies got so bad, and due to this I called the police and they arrested him. The officer pulled about 2 kg of pot out of his room, it looks like he was dealing, but I never saw him deal.

My apartment complex is serving an eviction notice tomorrow.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad to hear that it is working out ok. How is a roommate at an apartment randomly assigned? Is it associated with a college?

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That sucks that you had to go to the hospital but it is great that you finally got that taken care of.

11. EV0LUTION thread starter macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

The complex is associated with Florida State University, and the local community college. My roommate was random, he flunked out of FSU and transfered to the local community college.

They are posting the eviction notice tomorrow on the door, I'll probably have to show it to him, he never leaves his room.