Need some advice (imac to mac pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sjordan, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sjordan macrumors member

I purchased a refurbished MP yesterday along with a 120Gig SSD....so I should be getting everything sometime next week.

I currently have an Imac with a internal 1tb drive and external 1.5TB drive.

Here is what I want to do.

I want the ssd drive to be my boot drive and also run applications from it.

I want to copy all my data from the Imac to the new MP (including applications)

What is the best way to accomplish the above?

Should I boot the mac pro up and clone HD to the SSD make the SSD bootable...then run migration assistant?

Or run Migration assistant first then clone that to the SSD and make it bootable?

The other question I have is should I deactivate PS CS5 on the Imac after the clone or before?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If you do a clone of the iMac's boot drive to the new SSD, you shouldn't have to run the Migration Assistant because everything would already be cloned.

I'm pretty sure I was able to do that in the past with a couple of G4 machines (yes, it was a while ago), but I don't see why the same thing wouldn't still work:

Make sure the iMac has all the latest OS updates. The biggest concern here would be making sure the cloned OS has the necessary drivers for the ATI cards that are in the newer Mac Pros.

Boot the new Mac Pro into Target Disk mode (hold down the T key while powering on) and connect the machines together with a FW800 cable. The Mac Pro's SSD should mount as a FW drive.

Then, you would use an application like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the target disk (the Mac Pro's SSD) and make sure it's bootable.

Regarding the Adobe thing, it would probably be safer to deactivate the current install of CS5 and reactivate on the new machine once everything's cloned.