Need some advice installing a SSD in 2008 2.8 Octo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Mar 11, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ok, please bear with me. This is my first MP so be gentle :D

1. I have a 250GB OCZ Vertex SSD arriving tomorrow. So need some advice to hook it up correctly. I have opened up the MP and pulled out the standard HD that was shipped: looks like a Seagate barracuda 7200 320GB. I can see its a direct connect setup without cables.

2. I have ordered a 2.5" to 3.5" frame to screw to the MPs slide out 3.5" trays. However with the Vertex SSD being shorter width, length and height wise than the standard 3.5" drives will I need a cable to make up for the shortfall?

3. I notice on the photo of the 2.5" to 3.5" frame that cut out grooves length-wise which I assume will allow me to slide and screw as close to the back plane SATA connectors as possible. But still not sure if this will connect directly in a perfect fit. If this turns out to not be the case, what cable should I get and the best length? I assume its a SATA (male) to SATA (female) cable, is there a correct specification to ask when I pop down to the local computer/electronics store? Please advise.

4. Should I shift the stock standard shipped HD to bay two. And install the new SSD into the first bay. Is bay 1 reserved by the MP to boot off, or does it not matter what order the drives are connected in relation to whether its Bay 1, 2, 3 or 4

5. Lastly, I'm thinking of the optical bay. Spare slot under the Superdrive. What connection is this, and is it different/faster/slower to the connections on the 4 drive bays. Looks like there is a double connector on the manual illustrations. Can I hook the SSD into this space, if so what are the pros/cons and do i need an adapter if the connections are not SATA?

Any advice as always greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

4. More macrumors regular

As far as I'm aware the only sleds that are designed to house these smaller drives in a Mac Pro are sold by MaxUpgrades. I'm not sure how these other 3rd party sleds work to be honest. >>>>http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=180

I have two of these machined aluminum sleds from MaxUpgrades and managed to install the drives and mount them in the Mac Pro really easily as it was pretty straight forward.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

thanks for the response. did you install SSDs or HDDs?

6. More macrumors regular

I installed 2x Intel X25-M 80GB SSD drives on two sleds and have them currently running as my main boot drive in a RAID-0 config:)

7. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

ok. and they DIRECT connect to the SATA back plane WITHOUT cables? ie. seamless alignment and fit

Edit: Just looked on the Max site. And they have the Intel X25-M pictured so will definitely work with that drive. So should work with other 2.5" SATA SSDs

9. More macrumors regular

Yep. You screw the drives directly to the sled and heatsink and then slide it directly into exactly the same space as the default mac pro 3.5" sleds. It goes in great and connects directly to the backplate without cables. Seamless and perfect.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Perfect. I'm gonna order 2 straight away. Thanks again :D

11. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Forgot to ask, did you set up the RAID using software such as Apple Disk Utility or hardware RAID?