Need some advice issue with a rMBP purchased from Macmall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KBS756, Mar 30, 2013.

1. KBS756, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

KBS756 macrumors 6502a

Currently Macmall has a good deal of retina macbook pro's discounted so I was looking through their site asked 3 separate sales reps and purchased a 15 inch retina macbook pro.

I was told 3 separate times that it was a 2013 model...

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Pro/product~dpno~9530109~pdp.ibeghdh

Z0ML4LL/A

But when I booted it up the about this mac clearly says it is a Mid 2012 Retina. I am currently pretty upset about this but I know the 2012 has more L3 Cache then a 2013 and technically a little faster based on specs, what course of action should I pursue with macmall?

I do video editing 3d modeling/rendering (I like to set up stuff on the laptop side before sending stuff to my pro to render)

Just ran an IR test and it seems that I do have some image retention but only just barely

LG is the display manufacturer SJA1

should I bother to get it replaced or just assume apple will do it for me down the line (Display) and should I be askin for money or a 2013 macbook pro retina since I was told this was one and sales reps even now claim it is a 2013 model

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

If I were you, I would definitely get in touch with them to make sure you get a 2013 model as a replacement. I personally have a 2012 rMBP, but I feel like the 2013 is just a bit more refined. They made several small changes. However, those refinements could save you down the line, so like I said, I'd definitely get try and get the 2013 model.

As for the display, if you do choose to keep your current rMBP, I would also go into an Apple Store and get the panel replaced with a Samsung. Image retention, though it is sort-of minor, isn't something you should have to put up with with a $2000+ computer. You'll have your full 1-year warranty to get the panel replaced, though, so no rush. I actually just got my laptop back this week from a panel replacement (same situation, had an LG with image retention). Samsung now, no issues with image retention, etc. If it doesn't bother you a ton, I suppose you could just keep the LG panel, but the image retention gets worse over time so you might just want to get it replaced.

Enjoy whatever rMBP you end up with!

3. JPizzzle macrumors regular

I was actually going to order that exact same model, but decided to get the maxed out 2.8 from apple. I was told once that it was the 2012 over the phone, and a rep online told me it was a 2013. There is def some miscommunication. You have the benefit of the additional cache size, but then again, apple doesn't redesign things for no reason, so I imagine the 2013's should have some benefit over the 2012's-however, I don't think anyone confirmed this.

In your place, I would either take it to apple and have the screen replaced, see if macmall will take some money off the computer, or demand your money back w/out a restocking fee since you were misinformed.

In spending 2k+ on a laptop, you should have exactly what you want. If my order comes with an LG screen it's going back for a new exchange. Again, this is the internet, so you'll have some people saying not to worry about it and some saying to demand a repair.....

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There seems to be a lot of confusion at MacMall, between descriptions and what reps are saying.

What part number is printed on the shipping Box?

If it was me, I'd contact MacMall and mention you are unhappy. Perhaps demand the 2013 model they said it was. They may offer an additional discount or another good will gesture. They do seem to want happy customers.

Mistakes happen.

5. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, I think I will ask them to give me a 2013 version like they had stated it was. If they don't I hope they will at least offer me some kind of additional discount for misinforming me. I realize mistakes happen but the fact I spent over $2500 dollars trusting their word should mean I receive what I was told I was going to receive.

hope to avoid the trouble of going into the Apple Store and getting a display replaced if possible.

Unrelated to that issue did some tests with Lightwave 3D and very happy on the much improved viewport performance and render times in comparison to my old 2010 17inch Macbook Pro.

6. JPizzzle macrumors regular

7. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They said I would have to call in on Monday will see what happens then.

8. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Called... was informed that they will not have the 2013 model in stock for a few more weeks and would not be able to match the price or even give me anything off the price of a 2013 model to compensate for misinforming their customers....

Little ticked off that an Apple Authorized Retailer ... would not know the difference between a 2012 and 2013 and then do nothing to make up for the mistake and misinformation but say sorry....

On regards to swapping for displays I was told that they do not know the manufacturer for the display and would therefore just be luck whether or not I got one that had a samsung display instead of an LG.

I ran the test for Image Retention I have very very little at this point but the many posters mentioning it gets worse over time scares me a bit.

On the topic of the displays are Retina displays somewhat dimmer then the displays on the 17inch cMBP? because mine seems to be a decent bit dimmer as well.

What would you guys suggest I do ... should I call them again and demand they give me a price cut on this one and try to get apple to replace the display if issues develop?

Or should I demand they at least swap it in hopes of gettin a Samsung display with hopefully no issues.

Thanks in Advance

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I would call when they have the 2013s in stock, so they could do something that instant. Stress how three different CS reps told you it was the 2013, and you received a 2012. State what you want, and even tell them you can already notice IR. If it is still in return window, demand (nicely) a replacement, and if they do not let you have one, just return it and buy it again.

If it is out of return, still call them and see what they can do, Then go to Apple.

10. JPizzzle macrumors regular

IMO, if money isn't a big issue, I would simply return it and get my money back. I think it's going to be a headache if you go through exchanges and then try to return an exchange if it has a defective panel. I would be afraid of them trying to take the 15% down the line and saying it's "within spec." I also would not bring it to apple, as I don't feel that I should pay for a new product and have it repaired rather than replaced. Again, this is based more on wanting the product over the savings. Best of luck...

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I had noticed the MacMall ads and was wondering exactly the same thing re part numbers. The ones that show big discounts are the pre-2013 models.

Still I'm glad I don't shop at MacMall - I just don't trust them.

12. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't feel like going through a round of exchanging and the hassles entailed with that so I think I am going to keep it if they give me some compensation for misinforming me?

On the issue of the display what does apple need to see to replace it ? May get it replaced this summer when I have time if I do end up keeping it. Also are retina displays typically less bright then the cMBP's displays ? I feel like mine is a little dimmer at lowest still noticibly but less so at brightest

Thanks again

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

rMBPs are a bit dimmer, I have noticed. When I compare, the cMBPs are brighter but the colors feel fake and overly saturated. So I think the rMBP's display is still a better quality. Apple needs to see significant IR with the checkerboard test within 10 minutes to replace it.

14. npatel40 macrumors newbie

This happened to me too. Did you ever get a resolution?

15. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was going to suck it up and just live with it because I didnt want to deal with the trouble of going back and forth... Tried to get them to knock off as much a price as I could ... Only were willing to take off $100 .... and overnight me a replacement.

I decided finally to just end dealing with them... returned it because of the issue I was having in viewport of my 3D application.

offered them a chance to keep my money (Match Apple Discount on a new 2.8 Ghz 2013 16GB 768GB 15in Retina Macbook Pro, they said no) I drove down to Delaware and bought one sans Sales tax.

My defective one is going back tomorrow. Clearing all the files off it as I type.

16. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I think you made the right decision. A lot of the people talking about image retention are correct that it occasionally exists. However, the people who make a large issue out of it often have a severe form of OCD that does not allow them to enjoy an amazing laptop because it has an LCD panel that is only 99.9% as good as it can possibly be. For them, this is not a computer - it is just a device that powers their retina panel. Don't fall into the trap of hating an amazing computer because of an issue you would never even notice without someone on a forum pointing it out to you.

I remember the time my mentor made me put my ear to the tweeter of the best speaker set up I ever heard, he criticized that the tweeter horn picked up hiss on even the most quiet setups. No joke, for eight months, I could be listening to well recorded heavy metal and all I would hear was the hiss because he showed it to me. As someone on the other side of the coin, I hate reading posts where one person's OCD ruins it for everyone.

18. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Image retention hasnt bugged me yet, and I feel safe knowing I have 1 year and if issues do develop that they are bad enough to bug me I can go into an Apple store and ask for the display to be replaced.

I am was far more irked by the fact that MacMall lied to me 3 separate times and then refused to do anything to really make up for it....

And their tech support couldnt notice the fact that my 3D viewport was completely screwed up with an image depicting the same file on a the macbook pro and a mac pro. Had to highlight the completely wonky and crazy geometry that dominated the screen for him to understand.

Havent tested my new one thoroughly yet, but seems to be great without letting and OCD get to me....

19. fskywalker, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Quite interesting, today I ask for the same model and was told all their inventory is Samsung, that they are not getting LG's anymore. The guy even say can return for free if it is not a Samsung. Should I trust them? I am selling my 2.6 / 16 / 768 15 inch rMBP with LG panel since want to avoid future ghosting issues so another LG will not work.

20. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Based on others here, I would not trust the sales rep to know what they are doing. I don't think they can tell without opening the box and firing the mac up. I think their inventory is built prior to Jan 13 so the would not even have the LG version 2 screen. I don't think they have any 2013 refreshed models in stock, certainly not the one they are offering on sale.

Given your desire to only have Samsung, it is risky IMHO. Perhaps get the sales rep assurance in writing? How easy would it be for you to return the laptop if it turns out not to meet your expectations?

21. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I have the chat in wrtiting with the commitment, he said since March 2013 they are only getting Samsungs due to customer complaints, but who knows.... Thanks

22. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't trust them the reps say anything and everything 3 reps told me the 2012 model was a 2013 model... And afterwords a tech support man told me that they never know the brand of the LCD.

I would rather deal with apple then have to deal with them. Especially since you don't have to deal with them for a replacement.

23. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Thanks for the advice, will then look for an used rMBP with an Samsung display.

24. anthony11 macrumors 6502

Macmall's primary business seems to be selling recent-generation systems at a discount - a discount that increases as time/generations pass. You didn't realize this up front?

This model eg has 768GB flash and 16GB RAM with the 2.7GHz i7. I have a mid-2012 256 that was requested with 16GB but shipped with 8GB (due to corporate stupidity either within our IT dept. or with the train-wrecks at Softchoice) - which at the time cost only a couple hundred less than this is going for now. I would *slay* to be able to buy this today to replace mine.

25. fskywalker, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I had already found a nice deal on an used max-out Samsung equipped rMBP so am all set!!