Need some advice on a 11' MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mtx, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mtx macrumors newbie

I am looking into doing a refresh of all my Mac products in the household and adding a 27’ iMac. Currently I have a MacBook (Dual Core 2.4Ghz, 2G ram, 160 HD) and an iPad (32G + 3G). I will be getting an i5 or i7 iMac stock, the new iPad2 and an 11’ MBA.

My daily usage is basically surfing the net/streaming video with my MacBook and reading e-books on the iPad. With the new iMac, I will be also looking into running window virtualization software. I also use Photoshop and Lightroom occasionally as an amateur photographer.

Some gaming and main computing will be done on the iMac. The iMac will be served as my main backup. So by fact, storage is not really an issue when it comes to storing files, movie or pictures.

My new MBA will be replacing my MacBook. I am not a ‘hardcore’ user and I love the size of the 11’. However, I don’t know which one I should buy. I know for fact that I will be getting the 4G ram but I am undecided on the storage space I should take. The only difference this time is that I will be using my MBA for some light work which will required also window virtualization software to have MS Visio, MS Office installed. (I know there are products out there to replace all MS products but for the sake of keeping it simple, I will go that route for now..)

1- Which window virtualization should I get for my iMac and MBA? (Parallels or VM Ware Fusion?)

2- If I buy the 11’ MBA, 4 G ram, 64G HD it is sufficient to run the mentioned software without to much lag?

3- I know that the bigger the HD ism, the better it is. However, do I really need it if I have the iMac as a main computer?

Money is to be considered here as I am doing a refresh so wherever I can shave a little of cost, it will be great.

Thanks folks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

64GB SSD isn't much if you are going to run a VM. My Windows 7 VM takes 10GB and I haven't even installed any apps. 64GB SSD has around 50GB of free space when you first launch it so that would be around 40GB after the VM. Then add some apps and other data and you will soon run out of space. If you know, for sure, that you won't need more than 40GB, then 64GB might be enough.