Need some advice on a combo

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bowlman2345, Nov 9, 2015.

1. bowlman2345 macrumors regular

I know this is a Mac forum, and I've been an Apple user for years, but hoping I can get some constructive feedback on my situation without anyone being too "Apple only".

I currently have a 2013 macbook pro retina, 2.4ghz, 8gb, 256gb ssd. I also have a 10.5 samsung galaxy tab s.

Right now, I hardly ever use my laptop, unless I use some Light room, Plex or need to print something. Otherwise, it hardly gets used. The tablet only has 16gb on storage, so I use that for Web browsing and video streaming.

I'm debating on selling those and buying either an iPad pro, a surface book pro 4 or surface book. Right now I'm leaning towards the surface pro 4 since it seems like a good compromise. The surface book is nice, but I don't like that the tablet side only lasts for 2 hours. And it's expensive. The iPad pro looks nice, but then what do I use for a regular programs? Not sure I'm convinced it's a laptop replacement. The surface pro 4 looks nice with my only criticism that Windows 10 gets Spyware, and I sacrifice some battery life that the iPad gives me.

I feel like my MBP is just collecting dust and I do miss having a keyboard sometimes. Anyone in a similar situation or have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

2. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

I have a SP3 and like it. I also bought an SP4, to see if it was worth the upgrade cost, ultimately I found that it wasn't. Yes, much improved and definitely better than the SP3, but it wasn't as much of a bump as I thought it would be.

I also have a bunch of tablets (iPad Minis, Kindle Fires, iPads), which mostly gather dust. My iPhone takes on much of what used to be my tablet duty, and some of my other systems are so small and light, that a tablet isn't that necessary.

Surprisingly, my most used device is now my little retina MacBook. Though it may not seem like it on paper, it feels much smaller and lighter than my SP. It's got the power I need to do lots of stuff. And, when I need something with more oomph, I have an iMac for that. It's not as powerful as the higher end Surface Pros, but it's worth a look if you like OSX.

But yes, the SP4 is a pretty nice device. I'm going to hold off until the SP5, before I upgrade.

3. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

If you're Macbook is just collecting dust then it's wasted money / opportunity cost as price goes down on it over time IMO, and it sounds like you want one device instead of two devices. It also seems like you really need to use Light Room and other somewhat major OS programs in order to feel complete right?

The Surface Pro 4 seems like the only one that fits the bill (the 1st gen Surface Book isn't a smart buy IMO). It's definitely a nice device but I wouldn't get one personally because of Windows 10 privacy issues and poor scaling I think Mac users take for granted.

Hope I'm helping.

4. bowlman2345 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I only use Lightroom on occasion when I get the urge to start shooting again. Really that and Plex are the only programs I use on my MBP. I used to be more into other heavy stuff, but other than Office apps, I haven't really used it. I also only use my MBP to print stuff since AirPrint seems hit and miss with me so far.

5. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

AirPrint on my HP4500 printer has never failed me with Mac, iPad or iPhone. Maybe your Printer of Wifi connection?

I think you'd regret not getting something that doesn't run full programs if you give in to the urge to start shooting again.

6. bowlman2345 thread starter macrumors regular

I used AirPrint and it works decent, but sometimes I don't have the flexibility on the driver to do stuff I want like paper sizes, color/grayscale, etc. It seems to depend on the app. I used Lightroom Mobile on the iPad before and it's not bad, although not quite as powerful. I really wish the iPad Pro had a file system. That's one of my biggest drawbacks with it.

Otherwise it's a beautiful tablet.