Need some advice on a Pouch/Magnet

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bolo4u, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Bolo4u macrumors member

Hello all,

I have a iPhone 3g with an Incase Slider, which looks and feels great. I am looking for a top load case/pouch that will hold the phone with the slider installed so I can carry the phone on an equipment bag while working. I have found a couple of "universal" fit cases that will suit my needs, however, the cover flap is held closed by a couple of small magnets. My question is, will these small (about the size of a nickle) magnets cause any interference or other harm to my phone?:confused: I know that magnetics and some types of storage media do not mix, but I'm not sure on this one. Any input, other ideas, or info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Bolo4u thread starter macrumors member

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I've used Marware CEO case with a magnet since the initial launch of first gen. iPhone and never had an issue. I've read some report in regards to some of the companies using cheap magnets which will cause issues.

Apple talks about magnet here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2342

I hope that helps.

Thanks

4. Bolo4u thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does

Thanks for the reply. Yes that gives me some input. I was hoping to hear from someone with first-hand experience as to what they did with with their pouch/case.

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

As the article addresses, you may experience signal interference. But, don't worry, no damage.

It's true that some storage media don't like magnets, such as floppy disks.
    Luckily, there isn't a floppy disk inside your phone. Flash memory is nearly impervious to magnets as there is nothing magnetic in it. A magnet strong enough to disturb the electrons in flash memory would also be strong enough to separate the iron from your blood.

6. Bolo4u thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks

Many thanks to FarSeide, and The DUB. You both answered my questions and have made my decision much eaisier. Your input is very much appreciated.