Need some advice on a purchase!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by biggiesmalls, Apr 11, 2007.

1. biggiesmalls macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

Hello all,

I am currently speaking to someone about purchasing their MBP. Specs are:

The 17" MacBook Pro.
    • 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
    • 2GB of 667MHz PC2-5300 SO-DIMM RAM (upgraded)
    • 120GB Serial ATA; 5400RPM Hard Drive
    • Slot-loading 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
    • 17-inch widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1680 x 1050 pixels, Glossy Screen (looks awesome)
    • Built-in iSight video camera
    • ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256 MB GDDR3
    • Ports: 1 FireWire 400 port, 1 FireWire 800 port, 3 USB 2.0 Ports, Dual-Link DVI video output
    • Audio: Built-in Stereo Speakers, Built-in Microphone, Headphone/Optical Digital Audio Output, Optical Digital Audio Line In
    • Networking: Built-in 10/100/1000 BaseT (gigabit)
    • Wireless: Built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g), Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
    • Hardware Accessories: Apple Remote,Apple Wireless Keyboard, custom-designed Waterfield Design Sleevecase
    The Waterfield Designs sleevecase that I am including is unique in that it is oriented vertically so that when you slide the MacBook Pro inside, you can quickly and easily still plug in your AC charger while it is in the sleevecase.
    Other applications that are pre-installed include:
    • Final Cut Studio 5.1 (Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro)
    • Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium (GoLive, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, ImageReady, and Bridge)
    • Macromedia Flash 8 & Macromedia DreamWeaver 8

Granted I don't really care much for all of the Macromedia\FC etc, however this price drew me in because it is the same price for the Black Macbook C2D I configured on Apple's website. He is selling it for $1700, shipped with 2.5 years left on Applecare. Please give me your opinions!

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

If the deal seems fishy then its a scam! watch out, I know another guy here got scammed buying an ultra cheap MBP. Also, applecare only last two years so 2.5years on Applecare is not possible.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

AppleCare lasts 3 years from date of purchase.

this sounds a little too good to be true, but if you feel comfortable, go for it - it's a great deal.

4. biggiesmalls thread starter macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

Thanks for your replies. The gentlemen who is selling it is local to me, and he said I can check out the laptop, before I purchase it. He also said he uses the Safe-5-Steps services, and I have 10 days to return if I am not satisfied? Have any of you heard of that program?

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

So he's selling you a $2500 computer that can't be more than 6 months old, with $1200 video editing software, and about another K+ for the CS2 and Macromedia suites...for $1700 :rolleyes:

If you know the guy, and can see the computer (play with it a bit), then go for it.
    If this is an e-bay thing, I'd probably pass on it.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, we have already established that the seller is willing to cheat Adobe and Apple, so ... what's stopping them from cheating you?

On the face of it it is a good deal for the machine. There is a chance the machine is stolen, or worst case... that the 'sale' is a setup to roll you for the cash when you arrive to pick it up.

Ask if it comes with the original power adaptor and the original OSX disks. Stolen machines are often missing these. Ask for a copy of the original reseller receipt.

7. biggiesmalls thread starter macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

Thanks for your input people. I don't personally know the guy, but he is about a 40 minute drive from me. I will ask about the original reseller receipts, and original OS X Install disks. I was wondering the same thing about the software, as all of it is quite expensive. He also mentioned he uses this service for selling his MBP - http://www.safe-5-steps.com/

8. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Never knew that :( Nw I see how usefull :apple:care actually is!

9. biggiesmalls thread starter macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

The gentlemen is selling it to me through Safe-5-Steps. His\their policy is that I have 10 days after I receive the laptop to decide whether I want it or not, and if I do not then I can return it for full refund. If I decide to purchase it, the Applecare is transferred into my name and the deal is complete. Has anyone heard of/done anything like this before?

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i've never heard of this. if you're able to check it out and feel comfortable transacting business in person then go for it. might want to take a friend along when you go, though, and make sure another person knows where you'll be.

i also recommend running the serial number by Apple to make sure it's legitimately his to sell.

11. island macrumors 6502

island

It's a scam. I have seen this on craigslist with the same website in the past so don't bother. Same 17" MBP too for around the same price, just shy under 2k with Applecare (2.5 years).

Don't do it!

12. biggiesmalls thread starter macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

I saw it on craigslist. I just finished going over that website, and called the number, and yeah, it's a scam. I guess some things are to good to be true. Thanks for the input guys.

13. Macinrad macrumors newbie

I also was trying to buy that MBP. The seller was using the name Nathan Groberg with a yahoo email address (gnathanobe@yahoo.com) in his dealings with me. The safe-5-steps garbage made me suspicious, but when he balked at my request to pick it up at the safe-5-steps "official warehouse" where he left it, and instead asked for my full name and shipping address it was clear that the gig was up. Anybody know how to catch the guy? To whom do you report this kind of scam?

14. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

i might go straight to the site that he is posting on. most of the sites will pursue these things with some vigor because they might be liable for some of his actions if they are not careful. report him to the site, if they say it is simply caveat emptor, then see if he is operating under a business name which you can report to local business bureau, or whatever bank he is using, assuming you have been given the information of course, which i would doubt if he has done this for a while.

all i can say is that this is the trouble of the internet. but follow the rules of life, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. or if you prefer, you get what you pay for.

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK WOAH there Biggie

ANY time a seller is requiring you to go through a 'payment' service of their choosing, or tells you how safe it is, then back away slowly and use a branch to wipe out your footprints.

There is a well known scam...

"I am leaving the country, but I have left the goods with {something-official-sounding}.com, who will deliver it to you. You just pay your money to {someone else} and they hold it for 10 days and then when you say you are happy with the machine they will release the money to me."

Of course in those scams there is no machine and the trusted company you send the money to is a front and they just fraggle off with the cash.

paysafe dot com was one of the scam sites that was exposed here on MR
    Others crop up every week like mushrooms.

The GoDaddy registration on the site suggests a problem, look at the DNS entries.

Registrant:
    Donald Hoppe
    600 State Hwy. A.A.
    Sikeston, Missouri 63801
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: SAFE-5-STEPS.COM
    Created on: 30-Jun-05
    Expires on: 30-Jun-08
    Last Updated on: 06-Jul-06

Administrative Contact:
    Hoppe, Donald borbok2003@msn.com
    600 State Hwy. A.A.
    Sikeston, Missouri 63801
    United States
    (631) 961-3256

Technical Contact:
    Hoppe, Donald borbok2003@msn.com
    600 State Hwy. A.A.
    Sikeston, Missouri 63801
    United States
    (631) 961-3256

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM
    NS2.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM

16. jghere macrumors newbie

Biggie,

THANK YOU for starting this thread. I was about to buy one of those from a guy named Peter Simmons on Craigs List. Same exact deal. I had already told him OK on the deal, and was waiting for contact from Safe-5-Steps. I have sent no money nor gave any more info than my address. I decided to search for the Safe-5 site and this thread came up in the search. Man, am I glad.

Thanks to all the helpful members who shared their warnings.

Jeffrey

17. Trogloxene macrumors regular