Need some advice on an external optical drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guyht, Jul 27, 2011.

1. guyht, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

guyht macrumors newbie

I recently sold my 13" Macbook Pro and some how, in the process of reinstalling snow leopard, the cd/dvd drive has stopped working. It rejects disks after a few seconds.

This appears to be quite a common problem with Macbooks but I have tried several of the suggested solutions with no success.

So, I wish to purchase an external optical drive. The drive does not need to be bootable, but should have the same functionality of the built in drive (dvd-rw).

Can anyone suggest a suitable drive?

A quick google comes up with this: http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...&sa=X&ei=HcAvTu6qJ9OEhQfuy9Q2&ved=0CD8Q8gIwAA

Edit... also found this one http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/15846...tml?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:15846140|prd:15846140

Thanks

2. Dnix macrumors 6502

If you aren't looking for super portability...a standard 5.25 drive from Newegg is what I use. That along with this enclosure from OWC.

Otherwise Samsung, Sony, etc make nice slim ones.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have the MBA External Optical Superdrive which I bought when I got my MBA last September, as I still buy CDs, needed it for Office for Mac and, it is nice to have the option of being able to use it.

However, and it is a big however: When it works it is superfast; nevertheless, sometimes, it doesn't work all that well. Indeed, sometimes, it does not work at all, and I have been meaning to have it checked out as everything is still under warranty. To be quite honest, this is one Superdrive I would not really recommend.

Cheers

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think it will work othe MacBook pro anyway, I thought it required some special high power USB port to run it, and apple only put them on the MBA and Mac Mini.
    For the OP, I'd reccomend just finding the cheapest external you can.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think you are probably right; this was designed for the MBA and I bought it with that in mind. No, it runs off the ordinary MBA USB port, which may or may not be especially high powered. Anyway, I have to say that it is the first thing designed by Apple that I have found to have been rather underwhelming, to say the least.

Cheers