Need some advice on FC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by marine610610, Jun 24, 2008.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

A buddy who left on deployment gave me all of his "old" software, he plans on buying all new stuff when he gets back. The Final Cut version he gave me is Final Cut Pro HD 4.5? Where does this fit in with the current versions? Is way older? Still useful for most projects? Thanks for the advice.

2. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

I think we're up to FCP 6, and 7 probably isn't far away, but 4.5 will serve you very well for now.

Updates in pro apps don't always add new features, but rather add integration with other programmes or increase stability. So as a light to mid user, you're unlikely to notice much of a difference between 4.5 and a new version.

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

There are some major changes between 4.5 and 6. The big one is Intel compatibility, which I believe was first supported in 5.1. Other big differences may or may not affect you all that much:

The new version of Motion is a huge improvement over the last, adding sound tracking, cameras, 3d. Also, Color is a new addition in FCS2.

That said, assuming Intel compatibility isn't an issue for you it will still be very useful.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can upgrade from 4.5 to the current version (which is 6) for $699. The price is otherwise $1299. I few months ago I sold a copy of FCP 4.5 to some one who wanted version 6.0 He bought my old copy then paid to upgrade. I think he saved about $250.

If you are your buddy do need a current version you could sell FCP 4.5 easily for enough to buy a new copy of Final Cut Express. FCE is enough for most non-professionals

5. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the input. I am most definitely a non-professional. When FC first opened and i started looking through all of the options, i mean it looks a bit overwhelming. I am interested in getting to FC 6, or just FC express, just to have the latest in support.

Im using a MBP 2.16 C2D 2GB RAM...

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

FCP 4.5 won't run on your MBP. The first Universal Binary version was 5.1.