Need some advice, on Macbook purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by enycezbigd, Aug 19, 2008.

1. enycezbigd macrumors newbie

So i'm finally switching over to a Macbook for college and im just a little indecisive on which one to get. I'm going to do the whole student offer thing to get the free itouch, but i was wondering if yu guys could help me out. Should i go with the basic Macbook with 120 gb hardrive, and a 2.1 ghz processor, or the 2.4 ghz processor with the 160 gb hardrive. Personally i just want a laptop that'll be stable throughout my years in college, and i'm not going to put many programs on it, probably just limewire, torrent, isquint, and some microsoft programs. Is it really worth the extra 200 to get the 160 gb hardrive?

Any help

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yeah, you want the 2.4 160...
    Faster processor, bigger HD and the SuperDrive instead of the Combo
    Max out the RAM (3rd party, OWC or Crucial)

And DON'T put Limewire on that puppy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

No, save it for a larger external HD that you can use for back-ups.

4. ehduque7 macrumors member

I just bought my first Macbook two weeks ago so I was in a similiar situation as you.

In my opinion in comes down to budget. I usually try to get the most while staying within my (predefined) budget. Also, I live by the saying "If you don't buy nice...you're going to buy twice." Which basically means if you don't satisfy all your needs right now you're going to end up spending more money later.

Keep in mind that the difference between the entry-level and mid-level macbooks is the processor speeds, hard drive size, AND the CD/DVD drive...where the mid level has the DVD burner and the entry-level only has the CD burner.

I ended up getting the mid-level...and at the school I work at, after the education discount it was $1149 instead of the typical $1199.

To me, the mid-level Macbook will last alot longer (in terms of specs) before I tell myself it is outdated and I need a new one. I just graduted from college 2 years ago and the extra hard drive space comes in handy in college. Also, a DVD burner for me was useful as I made alot of video slideshows and stuff.

Hope my blabbering helps! haha :)

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I like that a lot haha.

Well, since you're going to be downloading things, get the one with more harddrive space. At around a grand, you really can't go wrong with a Macbook for what you're asking for.