Need some advice on MBP purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbishop93, Jun 13, 2013.

1. bbishop93 macrumors regular

So as we all know in this section of the forums WWDC was a bummer, if I have to explain why then you're in the wrong section lol. Anyway, currently I have an alienware m14x the 2011 model, its got 500gb HDD, windows 8 that I put on, and 2.0 Ghz i7. I'm in the market for a new laptop one more portable than this beast, its about 7lbs and if i carry the power brick its nearly 10... I looked into the rMBP back in april and I thought itd be perfect, 512 SSD possibly go for the 768, and I wanna pump 16gb RAM into their I'm gonna need it for work.

Now my current situation. I waited since april because I assumed haswell would be right around the corner, unfortunately it's not. So now I'm stuck with this heavy beast AW that I just wanna get rid of, works fine, obviously slower though because doesn't have HDD, but nonetheless I'm looking to get a new laptop before August, I wanna have some time left in the summer before college to start working on some iOS development I wanna learn. This is what led me to a macbook. Also I do not have to bring a laptop to work but the rMBP would definitely help me get my work done faster since the current laptop at work I'm on only has 2gb of RAM, I would bring my AW but honestly it's not that professional and it weighs a half a ton lugging around everyday. So now I dont know whether to just wait for the BTS event and get a gift card/good deal and get the current rMBP or wait longer and just pray they will be refreshed before mid August the absolute latest. I'm on the go a lot and the battery life boost from haswell plus the rumored new SSDs are really enticing to wait, however although I think I would be completely fine with the current gen, I don't wanna buy a laptop thats gonna be outdated in a few months... So all in all I'm not entirely pressed for a new laptop until august the latest I would like to have it earlier, and I want the new rMBP and I CAN wait for it but it's driving me insane lol. I would just hate to rush the purchase and then be disappointed if haswell is dropped sometime this summer. I don't think I am capable of waiting till October for the refresh. Any insight, suggestions, etc? Thanks.

2. someguy50 macrumors newbie

Nice laptop. Why not keep that for intensive/gaming tasks and just get a Macbook Air for portability? 12 hour battery life and thinner/lighter than the rMBP

3. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

Heh that's actually a good alternative I never considered, unfortunately, idt a macbook air would be fit to handle the tasks necessary at my work or back at school when I start programming and developing again. It would be nice but I really dont need something as portable as an air I was eventually gonna get a tablet for such things but I need something powerful well actually the rMBP is more powerful than my current laptop and then its also waaaayy more portable and has a bigger and better screen, not to mention I don't think I would want to have two laptops cuz then I'd have to bring both of them when I travel to school and back home or when I go home for a weekend etc. I'm a software developer so I'm kinda staring at screens all day and I'd like it to be easier on the eyes. But I'm definitely going to consider that because I never thought of it and it might work I'd have to look into the air more. I'm just not really into the whole having 2 laptops each for diff tasks.

4. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular