Need some advice on MBP purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbishop93, Jun 13, 2013.

  1. bbishop93 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2011
    #1
    So as we all know in this section of the forums WWDC was a bummer, if I have to explain why then you're in the wrong section lol. Anyway, currently I have an alienware m14x the 2011 model, its got 500gb HDD, windows 8 that I put on, and 2.0 Ghz i7. I'm in the market for a new laptop one more portable than this beast, its about 7lbs and if i carry the power brick its nearly 10... I looked into the rMBP back in april and I thought itd be perfect, 512 SSD possibly go for the 768, and I wanna pump 16gb RAM into their I'm gonna need it for work.

    Now my current situation. I waited since april because I assumed haswell would be right around the corner, unfortunately it's not. So now I'm stuck with this heavy beast AW that I just wanna get rid of, works fine, obviously slower though because doesn't have HDD, but nonetheless I'm looking to get a new laptop before August, I wanna have some time left in the summer before college to start working on some iOS development I wanna learn. This is what led me to a macbook. Also I do not have to bring a laptop to work but the rMBP would definitely help me get my work done faster since the current laptop at work I'm on only has 2gb of RAM, I would bring my AW but honestly it's not that professional and it weighs a half a ton lugging around everyday. So now I dont know whether to just wait for the BTS event and get a gift card/good deal and get the current rMBP or wait longer and just pray they will be refreshed before mid August the absolute latest. I'm on the go a lot and the battery life boost from haswell plus the rumored new SSDs are really enticing to wait, however although I think I would be completely fine with the current gen, I don't wanna buy a laptop thats gonna be outdated in a few months... So all in all I'm not entirely pressed for a new laptop until august the latest I would like to have it earlier, and I want the new rMBP and I CAN wait for it but it's driving me insane lol. I would just hate to rush the purchase and then be disappointed if haswell is dropped sometime this summer. I don't think I am capable of waiting till October for the refresh. Any insight, suggestions, etc? Thanks.
     
  2. someguy50 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #2
    Nice laptop. Why not keep that for intensive/gaming tasks and just get a Macbook Air for portability? 12 hour battery life and thinner/lighter than the rMBP
     
  3. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2011
    #3
    Heh that's actually a good alternative I never considered, unfortunately, idt a macbook air would be fit to handle the tasks necessary at my work or back at school when I start programming and developing again. It would be nice but I really dont need something as portable as an air I was eventually gonna get a tablet for such things but I need something powerful well actually the rMBP is more powerful than my current laptop and then its also waaaayy more portable and has a bigger and better screen, not to mention I don't think I would want to have two laptops cuz then I'd have to bring both of them when I travel to school and back home or when I go home for a weekend etc. I'm a software developer so I'm kinda staring at screens all day and I'd like it to be easier on the eyes. But I'm definitely going to consider that because I never thought of it and it might work I'd have to look into the air more. I'm just not really into the whole having 2 laptops each for diff tasks.
     
  4. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2011

Share This Page