Need some advice on memory

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wolfpackfan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I have a 2009 mini that has been running great until I installed Lion. I do have 2GB of memory in it, having upgraded about a year ago. After installing Lion though, everything seems to run a lot slower. Specifically when I open Pages, Numbers or Quicken Essential it takes a lot longer to launch than it did under SL. Also I get a lot more beach balls in Safari. I do have both my wife and myself logged in at all times and do fast user switching back and forth.

Do you think if I install more memory, will that speed up my mini? If so, how is the best way to increase my mini to 4GB? When I got my 2GB, I bought the memory myself and took it up to my Apple Store and they installed it for free. But I'm wondering if they will do that now, seeing as how busy they always are. Finally, does anyone have any links for the best deals on memory for the mini?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

2GB of RAM is not really enough for Lion as it's a lot more memory hungry then Snow Leopard. Whilst it will run and it's minimum requirement is 2GB you really need at least 4GB especially when you have all that open. Assuming it supports 4GB you should go with that.

I am surprised that the Apple store installed RAM you bought from elsewhere for free. They don't normally do that.

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Yea, they were very nice about it. I took my mini and the memory, which I bought off the web, to them and it took about 5 minutes. No charge at all. This was the Apple store in RLeigh, NC.