Need some advice on my upgrade situation, please...!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Jun 17, 2010.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

OK so I have two lines on a family line, mine and my wife's. My line is the additional line and is not due an upgrade for a while. My wife's line is the one I bought the iPhone 4 on, since she got a $299 32GB upgrade.

Now, she doesn't want an iPhone 4, so she wants me to have it, so when it arrives can I just cut my sim down to size and put it in the iPhone and be done? Does that work ok?

Thanks!

2. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Why brave??

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

do yall both have iphones right now? if so i think that will work, but i do recommend activating it first on her line. then i believe a simple sim swap should do the trick imo

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

K I'll do that. We'll see how it goes. :) Yes we both have 3GSs.

6. selianth macrumors newbie

You may be able to call AT&T and ask them to switch the upgrade over to the other line. I know people that have had success with it. Basically your wife would then get your current eligibility date, and yours would get pushed back the 2 years. That would probably be easier than cutting down the SIM. There's no reason AT&T shouldn't allow it, but sometimes the CS reps can be weird about it, so if they don't give it to you the first time you call, you might try calling again later and hoping you get a different rep.

7. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Cutting a sim is very simple, and mostly I'd like to avoid dealing with AT&T any more than necessary. :)

8. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Why can't you just call AT&T and tell them that she gave you the phone and to put it on your line?

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I guess I could do that... would they be able to make the included microsim MY number?

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is detailed in our Upgrade Guide. See Upgrade Swap.

11. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Groovy. Ta. :)

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

They should. I do not see why you can not just add any phone to your line. I gave my younger brother an old (non-iPhone) phone for his first phone a few years ago. My mom called up and told them to add it to her family account.

13. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I just don't like the idea of getting the phone and then having to spend hours trying to get through to AT&T on June 24th to make this happen before I can use it... *sigh*...

14. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

That's what I was planning to do. I've called several times & keep getting different answers, but I think that should work!

15. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Very good idea. I can't imagine how long it'd take to switch the upgrade to the other line, or what extra charges will show up on your bill, or some phone number switch surcharge. Ugh, f*ck AT&T.

16. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I know. How sad is it that I absolutely DREAD having to do this. I think I'll just activate it on my wife's line, and then cut my sim and be done with it. Just a total pita otherwise...

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You can try to connect to iTunes and see if it lets you enter another number, but from what I've been told by a reliable source is that the number it was issued to will display and you won't be able to change this. It's because the ICCI # on the SIM is associated with your account. AT&T CS will have to move this.

I'd give AT&T one call, see how long the hold time is. If it's unreasonable, start cutting.

18. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah I think I'll just activate the wife's microsim, and then just slam mine (after cutting it) in there afterwards. No big deal.

19. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

20. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I just called AT&T. You have to call them back, if you're in my position, on the day you receive the iPhone BEFORE activating it, because if I activate it using my wife's account, it will deactivate her sim and she won't be able to use the microsim in her 3GS!

So yeah, I have to call them and switch the account before activating it, so the SIM is registered to my number.

21. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

If you to go an AT&T store (I wouldn't recommend it on launch day), they can give you the proper sim cards for the proper phones.

22. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yeah, never happening on launch day, hah! I'll just try and call them and see if they can fix things over the phone that day.