Need some advice on purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by creationtwenty2, Jun 11, 2012.

  1. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys.

    I'm heading to the Apple Store tomorrow to pick up a new Mac or 2. I just sold my old 15" MBP and am currently computerless. I rely on my Mac for work so I gotta pick up something tomorrow at least.

    My plan was to go iMac+13" MBA, but now with no iMac update, I'm kinda edgy about pulling the trigger on an iMac tomorrow.

    Thing is, the MBA isn't going to cut it for my work on it's own if I was to hold out for a refresh (could be soon, could be November). I could get a 15" MBP, but then I was keen to go desktop/laptop rather than just a laptop which is the setup I've been running for the last couple years.

    I'm really not sure what to do here! Any thoughts?
     
  2. badman89 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2011
    #2
    Hi, I think that your original plan is perfectly fine. iMac + MBA is quite simply the perfect combination. In fact, I would suggest getting a 11" MBA for improved portability (since you've already decided that the MBA is just a portable machine for browsing, etc. and not for your work).

    I would say buy the MBA right now and wait a bit on the iMac, but if you really need it for your work then you shouldn't wait. Maybe you can clarify the nature of your work? Because if it doesn't involve any photo / video editing then my guess is that the 2011 model should be just fine. I mean, you'll naturally feel a bit of a pinch because you're paying 2012 $ for 2011 tech, but, when you look back at this in a couple of years it won't matter.
     
  3. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #3
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the iMac will be fine from a performance point of view. It's basically the same spec as my old 15" MBP which was perfectly adequate.

    I do mainly artworking in PS/Illustrator but I do need a but of C4D too, which I don't think the Air will be great for.

    The thing is, I know Apple tend to be pretty reasonable with their goodwill offers if new hardware is released shortly after a purchase. I remember my girlfriend bought an old unibody MacBook about 3 weeks before they were updated and they offered her an upgrade or a small cash rebate. With that said, I'd think I'm ok for 30 days or so and if it's any later, I wouldn't have wanted to wait anyway.
     

Share This Page