Need some advice on rMBP Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Umbracron, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Umbracron macrumors newbie

I just picked up the retina display macbook pro on monday. It is my first Mac (Apple) system other than an iPhone, countless iPods, iPad 2 and I must say I am in love with it. However, I insist on having access to Windows because I refuse to own a $2000+ item that will not do what I want it to do (I have a wife for that). So with me being new to the mac scene I have a few questions about using windows on the mac.

1: Are there driver issues with using Windows on a MBP?
    2: Are there any bugs associated specifically between Windows and MPB?
    3: Is having a 2 button normal pc mouse a requirement for using Windows on MPB or does the track pad still work for that?
    4: Does the retina resolution work on Windows 7 in the same way it does on Mac OSX?

Basically, if I am going to plop down more money for an Apple optical drive and a full Windows install set, I just want to know that I can use windows based cam/mic social applications in the exact same way as if I were using a standard windows laptop with no Mac related hiccups.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

Plenty of issues. Overheating. No real power control. Lack of updated drivers. Shoddy trackpad support.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

1: Nope
    2: Nothing bad that I know of
    3: As long as you have all the updated drivers anything apple will work in windows via bootcamp.

Yes everything on the mac will work for you on windows including the mic and camera.

4. Slivortal macrumors 6502

While I don't have an MBPR, I have heard people having issues with boot camp. But I've heard that most people have done fine with virtualization (which I enjoy more than dual booting to begin with).

If you've never heard of it, look up Virtualbox by Oracle (free and open source). You can basically run a Windows machine within your Mac machine, which I find preferable.

Again, this is all word of mouth, though.

5. Umbracron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Personally I am not a huge fan of virtualization in a laptop system. Hearing that there may be bootcamp issues with the rMBP is troubling though since that is my intended method for the install.

6. Slivortal macrumors 6502

If you don't mind me asking, why not? The MBPR has plenty of cores/RAM to do so.