Need some advice on 'slideshow' type effect

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Nov 26, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2009
    Hey guys.

Ok here is the deal. I am working on a small site for an artist. On his main page he wants a thumbs of 9 of his paintings, set up so that they make a large square grid. Each one of those squares would have a 'slide show' effect, and transition to one other painting. I guess it would just loop after that.

What do you guys think is the best way to go about this? I don't have any experience working wish Flash, so I was hoping for a non-Flash solution. It seems like this would be a situation where Flash might work well though... :mad:

Anyway, thanks in advance for any tips.
  2. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks for the tip. I am reading the info right now. From seeing the 2 shows running side by side on your site, it looks like it could do what I want.

One thing I don't understand from the wording is, does it HAVE to use a feed? I just want to use images on the same server as the site. I dont' want to store them on one of those photo sites.
  3. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    You could generate your own Media RSS feed.

Or use a locally-installed gallery script that supports RSS.
  4. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2009
    Sorry to be a pain, but I am a complete newb to this. Can anyone suggest a good, fairly simple script to install that has this feature?

Or point me in the direction of a good, easy to follow tutorial on the Media RSS feeds. I did a google search, but I get an overwhelming amount of results and I can't find a straight forward one.
  5. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2009

I tried out Bannerzest because someone told me it has this exact effect in it. And it indeed does. So I think I am just going to use it. This site is more a favour to someone, and I can't spend much time stressing over a solution. So I will use the easiest one!

Thanks for the help!