Need some advice: Should I mod my C2D MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Oct 22, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Just been sitting here mulling over whether or not to pull my C2D MBP apart to do some upgrades. Just wondering if you guys out there had any opinions?

Right now I am running a

2.16ghz C2D
    2gb Ram
    120gb HDD
    Glossy

Just thinking about boosting the ram to 4gb, replacing the hdd with a 250gb to run boot camp and replace the glossy LCD with a matte one. This was a refurbished machine so I am in my initial year of apple care until March 2009. I would like to purchase apple care but there would be no point if I were to do these mods. Apple care to me, would be an insurance policy should something die within my machine (maybe I can get it replaced with a newer, or stronger machine).

What do you guys think? Hold off on the mods until my apple care runs out or risk it and make a nice machine that I have always wanted? Mind you I got this computer as a gift, that is why I have it.

2. sfroom macrumors regular

With the exception of switching the display, none of those upgrades will void your warranty as far as I know.

You can add ram and change the HD within warranty. If you're worried about it, just put the originals back in before shipping it to Apple for service, should something go wrong.

Why do you want to change the display? The old MBP displays are nowhere near as glossy as the new ones. Are you having glare issues? I actually like the glossy displays better on the old MBP's. My $0.02.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You have the same model I do!

First, pop a 320GB HDD in there. Not too hard if you follow directions. I think ifixit is where people recommend.

You can technically only go up to 3.3GB of RAM, but you can physically put 4GB in. Just be aware that the new module I bought (ValueRAM, it was cheap) didn't work with the factory one. Therefore, I *only* have 2GB. But better than 1GB.

As far as the screen, go to power support's web site and spend $35 on a cover for your screen. Way easier than replacing the screen.

If you find some magical way to pop a 2.5Ghz CPU in there, let me know!!!!! :)

4. sfroom macrumors regular

I recommend throwing 4GB of ram in anyways, despite the 3.3 GB limit.

Matched SODIMMs will provide a performance increase due to the dual channel memory architecture. Although the increase is marginal, 2GB dimms are pretty cheap these days, I've seen them on sale as low as $30.