Need some advice...?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lopro, Oct 25, 2010.

1. lopro macrumors newbie

I'm planning on getting an iPhone4 in the near future. But I have a few questions:

1. Is it true that I cannot unlock if iPhone4 is on 4.1 firmware (because of baseband)? If so, will there be future fixes to this problem?

2. Is it true that a successfully unlocked & jailbroken iPhone4 will not get fastest data speeds on any network other than AT&T? For example, my jailbroken/unlocked iPhone4 on T-Mobile will only achieve EDGE speeds.

Thanks. I basically need advice on how to use a fully functioning (with best data speeds) iPhone4 on other networks...or am I forced to go with AT&T?

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

1. Yes, there is no unlock for an iphone 4 on 4.1 because the baseband is updated to the newest version. There is no time frame on when or if they will be able to unlock it.

2. True you can only use edge on t-mobile. You will not be able to use 3g, so if you want to use 3g you are stuck with AT&T.

Try the search this has been discussed numerous times.

3. lopro thread starter macrumors newbie

With that being said...how slow is the iPhone4 only using EDGE? Will it be as slow as my 1st gen iPhone on firmware 3.1?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1. Yes is true, Nobody knows, there is not way to know. there are some people working on it, Will they ever break it, there is not way to know, or even any way to make a "educated guess"

2. Yes, also true, Only Network 3G network supported by the iPhone4 is AT&T 3G network, if you unlocked it and use T-mobile you will only reach EDGE due to T-mobile using a different frequency for its 3G network that is not supported by the iPhone 4 radio.

Boardband wise, yes it will be same speed, now iP4 is a more power phone so it can process faster so you will notice a bit faster loads but as far as the raw internet speed, will be jus the same.

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Depends on the connection. t-mobile edge averages between ~150-250kbps. Depending on connection and location maybe lower.

6. lopro thread starter macrumors newbie

That sucks...looks like my only options are to pay more for the AT&T contract or to use a slow T-Mobile connection. Either way the phone is expensive.

Maybe it's time to switch to an Adroid based phone (which I know even less about)....:confused:

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Blame the FCC "Federal Communication Commission" they are the people who license the frequencies and screwed T-Mobile. Every country in Europe manage to operate a GSM 3g network using the same two frequencies. Phones are completely interchangeable except for unlocking.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You will only get EDGE not because of the jb or unlock, but because T-mobile uses another frequency of 3G that the iPhone hardware does not run, so even if you bought an officially unlocked iPhone from another part of the world, it would still run EDGE on T-mobile... If you want 3G data w/ an iPhone you will have to be w/ AT&T in the US, no other choice.