Need Some Advice!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Miss Riss, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Miss Riss, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Miss Riss macrumors newbie

Okay, so I have a dilemma. I want to purchase a new lap top and don't know where to start!!

I have used a Appe all throughout High school being I was a graphic design major in a technical school then had a one on one program with Apple when I moved my senior year. I got a lap top for graduation from my grandmother in '05 which has lasted me until now, and I need an upgrade. so being I miss my Apple I decided to get a new one but don't know what one.

I no longer do graphic work and basically use my current laptop for just uploading pictures, checking email, Microsoft Office, itune's and the occasional skype session.

I dont know whats the latest version and what would work best for me... and when I went to the Apple store I was looked at like "fresh meat" and had everyone trying to TELL me what to buy instead of listening to my needs and helping me. I'm a bit frustrated :(

Also what about refurbished Apples? I have checked out several sites, but I really don't want to get ripped off...

Hope someone can help me!!

Thanxx

2. simsaladimbamba

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As simsaladimbamba said, any Intel Mac would fit the bill.

The MacBook is the Chevy of the current lineup. You can get a good deal on one refurbished from Apple with a full warranty.

If you wanted a bigger screen, you need to go to the MacBook Pro line and pay a lot more money. If you want more portability, go for the MacBook Air.

B

4. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

White macbook or 13" MBP would all be fine. Choose whichever one you like and can afford. Apple refurbished products are great and can save you some money which you can save/keep in case you need any upgrades.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

;) I meant a bigger portable display.

The only feature in the 13" MBP or 13" MBA that could be really useful for the OP is the SD slot, but a cheap USB reader solves that. There was no mention of video, so I wouldn't think FireWire is an issue at all.

B

6. Miss Riss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I really like the air, so ill probably be going with that model

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

One caution about the 'Air. It comes with very small internal storage and only offers USB for external storage. If you plan to use iPhoto and you plan to let iPhoto copy photos to its library, you could quickly run out of drive space on a 64 gig machine. They you will be faced with using a USB 2.0 drive for expansion.

I'm very interested in the 'Air myself but I might just decide to go for the more expensive model so I'm not immediately forced to deal with running out of drive space.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If nothing else you can use the SD slot in the 13" model to add 32 GB for around $60, or just deploy a NAS.

B

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a 15 megapixel digicam that also shoots 1080p movies. I would want an SD slot to be able to dump photos quickly and erase the card so I can go back to shooting. If I was using the SD slot to extend internal memory, I would be in the situation where I'd be dumping 5-10 gig of stuff to SSD, then wiping the card, then popping in my expansion, then copying it all to the expansion, then deleting the files from SSD. That's a lot of monkey business just to get photos off my digicam.

As for NAS, I have a rather nasty unit from Iomega (don't buy anything from Iomega!) that doesn't power itself back on after power failures, has a very noisy fan, and is excruciatingly slow. If I had a better/faster NAS, I'd consider using it more often. For now, I use a USB SD card reader (on my WhiteBook) to copy photos to firewire HDD. After they are safely on firewire HDD, I copy them to NAS (which can take up to 30 minutes via 802.11n). Only when I believe I have the photos backed up twice, I wipe the SD card and put it back in the camera. If I went for a new MBA, I'd have to convince myself that a USB drive wouldn't slow me down compared to the firewire HDD I use now.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could still use the USB reader, no?

It definitely seems like the cheap HDD manufacturer NAS solutions leave a lot to be desired, but even a Time Capsule is pretty good for a consumer digicam.

Note: it's generally not a good idea to have both the NAS and client on WiFi. Try to wire the NAS to the router if it isn't already..

B