Need some advice :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeroh, Apr 29, 2011.

  1. Zeroh macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    #1
    Hey guys, new on the fourm and im looking for some advice.

    I'm looking to buy either a MacBook pro or the Imac, I'm gonna do some gaming ( crisis, COD, ) light video editing and alot of photoshop. I'm torn on what to buy.... Portability would be nice but if going for the new iMac would be better I'll consider that, finally should I wait for ivy bridge ! I don't really need to get it now now but it would be nice to upgrade now and this will be my first mac :D
     
  2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I would wait until the next iMac refresh. It should be soon. Check the Mac buyers guide which is located on this site.
     
  3. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    #3
    Yep I was planning to wait to see the refresh.
     
  4. DustinT macrumors 68000

    DustinT

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    #4
    If you don't *need* the portability the iMac will usually offer a little more performance.

    I choose a 15" base model and I'm just in love with this thing. Its a great system. The only upgrade I see the need for is an SSD so I ordered a 240g Vertex 3. I'd recommend you budget some money for an SSD no matter what you choose. It is easily the best bang for your buck upgrade for any system running a standard hard drive.
     
  5. polbit macrumors 6502

    polbit

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2002
    Location:
    Texas
    #5
    Definitely wait for the iMac refresh, only few days from now :)

    I think the trade off here is portability/convenience vs price/performance/heat. I would imagine that the new iMac will be a better machine for gaming, and it's nice to have the screen real estate for Photoshop and/or video. That 27" is sweet!

    Good luck, my MBP is my first Mac in ages as well :) Loving it so far, but when I feel like a little Starcraft II or COD, i go to my DIY PC desktop running a Radeon 6870 with a 24" LCD.

    Polbit
     
  6. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

    Funkymonk

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #6
    Seems like portability isn't a necessity for you. Get the imac after the refresh and possibly and ipad if you want portability.
     
  7. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    #7
    Hmm what about ivy bridge ? I've heard that apple might do a refresh near dec/jan, idc abot a re design but a 22nm chip will significantly reduce heat issues
     
  8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

    adnoh

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    #8
    go for the imac, better hardware and screen for what you want to do.
     
  9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #9
    This as well
     
  10. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #10
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Supposedly this is more of an update to keep the CPUs running cooler not necessarily going to be ground brakingly faster, in other words don't worry.
     
  11. thermodynamic Suspended

    thermodynamic

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #11
    Absolutely agreed! If the mobile version of Sandy Bridge does performance justice, the desktop version will be even more phenomenal!

    Not to mention high-end IPS panels as well... I'm tempted to buy a 27" iMac as well and turn my Mac Pro into a server. And for photo and graphics work they are deservedly top notch.
     
  12. richard13 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Mill Creek, WA
    #12
    Definitely go for the iMac. The iMac has a big, beautiful IPS screen!
     
  13. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    #13
    Ok I've decided to probz go with a mbp, now I don't know wether to wait for the re-design or just buy now and what SSD is recommended
     
  14. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #14
    If you need a computer within the next 8-10 months, then I'd probably buy now.
     
  15. acedickson macrumors 6502a

    acedickson

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2004
    Location:
    ATL
    #15
    Buy now and get yourself that SSD. If you decide you want the MBP at the next revision you will get most of your money back reselling and you will have gotten the usage out of your MBP for 9+ months.
     
  16. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2011
    #16
    Cool and should I jut put it on eBay or is there a specific place to sell it
     

Share This Page