Need Some Advice....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by genesplicer25, Dec 3, 2011.

1. genesplicer25 macrumors newbie

I have a question. I have been thoroughly disappointed with the reliability of my roughly 2 & 1/2 year-old late top-of-the-line 2008 MBP (got it during really late May '09 just before the new model came out). It has been plagued with numerous hardware and OS-related software problems over the years, including currently having its logic board replaced for the SECOND time around due to the failure of the GPU. (so that's roughly 1 logic board every 12-14 months). It has also had its optical drive replaced due to failure. I have also had numerous genius bar visits over the years dealing with issues like OS corruption (The genius bar/myself have had to re-install the OS and do a clean wipe of the hard-drive around 5 times because of this). The computer has also had numerous minor issues, which apple has carefully avoided dealing with after I informed them at the time of the first logic board replacement (such as premature wearing out of the keyboard and trackpad and flickering issues with the screen).

I have AppleCare. Do you think this is enough ammo to glean out of apple a new MBP? I understand that they typically only replace after the 4th major repair?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I think you have been misinformed.

Apple will sometimes authorize a computer unit replacement after three repairs for the same hardware issue.

I would say you probably do not have a case. Maybe after your next logic board.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm sure if you called apple and politely threw a BF you might get lucky.

4. sfoalex macrumors 6502

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Do you have problems with the machine currently? It's hard to make a point about how disappointed you are when the machine is working properly now.

I assume that there still are some issues. In that case, you should call AppleCare, explain what current problems you have and how many repairs you already had. Maybe point out how much of the two years the MBP spent being repaired.

Whether or not some forum users think you deserve a new MBP does not really make a difference.

It's clearly not normal for an Apple product to have multiple major and minor issues over just a few years, and usually Apple offers some sort of compensation for those cases where it happens.

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

If you are referring to me, I'm quoting Apple policy.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Note how you worded it "after your next logic board". If they continue to last 12-14 months, that would put him out of the warranty period, and these things really shouldn't die in a year anyway, and the OP has a reason to be angry about this. Just wondering if anyone knows, does Apple use refurb parts for warranty repairs on logic boards?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, the parts are new.

9. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

That's actually false.
    Apple looks at how many repairs you had within a relevant time period.

If three of the same things break every 12 months, for 36 months, they're not going to give you a new laptop.
    If three "medium to major" separate things fail within two months then they'll probably just give you a new laptop

When they replaced mine - I also had a late 2008 model - I had a total of 6 repairs over 2 and 1/2 years. The logic board broke twice but the time difference between was more than 12 months. However, within that same two-three months span when my second logic board failed, towards the end, my optical drive had to be replaced twice as well. So, they just gave me the new base 15" MBP.

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I agree, they shouldn't die that quickly. I was just stating the policy.

They use a mix of new and refurbished parts.

No, it actually is not false. The CRU program is discretionary, so your experience may vary.

11. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Exactly to my point.
    So why tell people that three repairs for the same item will result in a replacement?
    The repairs need to happen within a reasonable amount of time for the replacement to be even considered, and they don't need to be for the same repair.

12. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Because this is Apple's policy. To the OP, I do recommend you try, if you think you have a valid case.

Unless you are calling the warranty period "a reasonable amount of time," you are wrong.

The issue could first be reported on the 31st day of ownership, and the third be reported on the 1095th, Apple wouldn't need to evaluate the timeframe. The CRU must be authorized by someone above level 1 in CS. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances (like yours, for instance). The main difference between you and the OP being that it sounds like you had repairs.

A software issue (that isn't caused by faulty hardware) is 99% of the time the fault of the user. Apple helped the OP resolve the problem, but they aren't admitting fault, nor are they going to see those incidents as relating to the stability of the machine. Also, he has a 2008 MBP that has been replaced for the faulty 8600 GPU, which is an incredibly common for that model.

I have repaired about 50 of those machines, replacing the LB under the Quality Program, and not had a single one come back for another repair. The replacement units are not of the same design as the faulty units. It is possible that the OP got another bad LB with a faulty GPU.

Since Apple won't recognize the "software problems" as flaws in the computer, we can scratch those, right off the bat.

A very common failure in Apple computers.

Though these issue would often be solved by LB replacement, Apple doesn't ignore customer complaints. Since nothing was replaced, we can only assume that Apple found no fault with the hardware.

So his tally of problems recognized by Apple is this:
    2 - Logic Board (one replaced with a known defect).
    1 - ODD

Since one of the LB replacements was due to the 8600 known fault, I think the chances of Apple giving him a new computer for one LB replacement and one ODD replacement are slim. However, if OP throws a big fit on the phone with them, there is a possibility he will get what he wants. You are better off having a broken computer when you are making your case, but he might get lucky.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, I was just trying to point out that whether or not we think he deserves a replacement has no influence at all on Apple giving him a replacement or not.

His record of problems might be enough to convince them.

There is no official statement in the Applecare terms and conditions about "three repairs of the same hardware problem." The paragraph that governs replacement is very short and reads:

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Thank you. I wasn't sure.

There have been many many many software level bugs that affect hardware performance, and while the users may not create them, many don't know how to work around them. The finder to this day lags due to an easily corrupted directory. The typical drag and drop behavior of the average user for moving files around is enough to mess things up, and disk utility doesn't fix the problem (nor does Apple even acknowledge it). I was responding to someone last night that was having spotlight freezes which I thought mostly died with Leopard. They've had plenty of color management bugs. There are many others. It's simply not accurate to say it's typically the fault of the user, especially when Apple likes to pretend bugs do not exist.

15. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

It is completely true. 99% of non-hardware problems stem from the user.

16. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Regardless, the warranty doesn't cover software.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Okay I'm going to ask, what user created problems have you encountered personally? I understand that they often misunderstand how things work, but I really can't think of anytime I've seen a user really mess things up on the software end aside from a few people trying to set up raid systems in a remarkably stupid manner.

Well yes that is obvious. No computer manufacturer warranties software.

18. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I'm only going to give a couple of examples here, as I see them every day.

Attempted UI customization.

Corrupted plists and other library files.

But there are world of other user created problems.