Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digoxin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Hi guys,

I really need some advice regarding buying a new MacBook Pro. My last MacBook Pro (late 2011 version) will sadly cost too much money to fix, so I'm looking to invest in a new MacBook Pro. In terms of usage, I'm a final year medical student so the MacBook would be heavily used for things like research, statistical programmes, notes, etc, basically a lot of studying.

My options at the moment are:

2015 13 inch MacBook Pro (with the added storage - 512gb).

VS.

2016 MacBook Pro (non-touch bar with added storage 512gb).

Now along with student discount etc, both of these work out to roughly the same price. I guess the burning question I have is which one should I go for?

I like the portability in the 2016 version, however, the ports on the 2015 are so much more convenient. Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
You had your last MacBook for about 5 years. In five years do you think the ports will still be inconvenient or will the world have switched over by then, that is the question. I don't have the Pro, I moved from a 15" 2011 MBP to a RMB, I find even though the screen is much smaller, with the increased resolution I see about the same, and I LOVE the portability.

For that reason, and I'm betting the USB-C ports become the norm, I'd switch, but that is my two cents. ;-)

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
The 2016 has the newer Skylake processor which is faster and the 2016 MB Pro is .46 lbs lighter.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Faced with a similar decision regarding either a 2015 or a 2016, I picked the 2015.

Reasoning:
Proven design, better keyboard (for me), the ports I need (and will continue to need for the next 3-4 years), price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.