need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frakke, Jan 28, 2008.

1. frakke macrumors newbie

hi,

I don't know what to do...
    I want to buy a macbook pro but since this cost a lot and i have never bought a mac and never worked on leopard i was thinking of buying a mac mini first to feel how it works so i get the feeling first.
    I don't want to buy the macbook pro and after some months install windows on it.
    On the other hand, buying a mac mini is trowing away money if i love it and buying the macbook pro anyway.
    so there are 2 options
    1 : Waiting for the macbook pro update and take the chance
    2 : Buy the mac mini, and later (a year, still a student) the macbook pro.

thanks in advance
    ps sorry for my English.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You could try out a mac in an authorised-Apple store in Belgium couldn't you. Have a play around as people do a few times and see if you understand how to use the OS. That'll give you a good idea of what to do next.

If your goal isn't to install windows then I would imagine your not a gamer either, so do you even need the Pro ? The MacBook is a very good machine.

3. frakke thread starter macrumors newbie

I've went to a apple store, but i don't think you really know how it's working by "playing" for a couple of times with it.
    I'm not a gamer no :) but I'm a student informatics so i do need the power of the pro. And i think with the macbook pro, you can keep it longer than the mac book (wont get outdated). I did allot of research, i know pretty much anything a guy can now about leopard without actually working on it so what i really need a test for a couple of weeks ...

thanks for the quick reply

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Used Macs retain their value pretty well. If you are concerned, why not give a Mini a test drive. When you decide to get an MacBook Pro, you can sell the Mini. Or keep it as a small web and music server. Consider buying one or both from the Apple refurbished store, and you can save some money.

5. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

A decent mac mini would make for an excellent back up computer anyways. I know it stinks to spend money like that but having a mini wouldn't be a bad idea.

Personally if you really do need a Pro I would pull the trigger and do it. The OS is very easy to understand. My 9 yr. old sister picked it up in minutes. And you have a great forum here to help you out with questions.