Need some advice.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by frant, Nov 25, 2008.

1. frant macrumors newbie

Hi - I've been a PC user since they came out and run on the techy side. I used to use a mac years ago at work and always liked it (you know - the really tiny one). Anyway, I went to a mac store and kind of looking around - very cool stuff all over..... The reason I'm thinking of a mac is that I really am needing an update and don't want to go to Vista. I am a power user, MS Office instructor (but decided on a full-time job instead of teaching adult ed - not busy enough), and am very familiar with in-depth file structure of PCs (although I don't like to touch the registry). I see that Mac has Office for Mac so that works. I also know there's 'fusion' but now sure if it would create registries and how it actually installs on the hard drive.

Anyway, I have 2 laptops and a Desktop - all running XP with 512 Ram. My husband's laptop finally died and have considered going mac. What I was thinking was to get 2 laptops, (dump my desktop) Time Machine (to back up my drives) and wireless printer. My husband needs little, except to get on the internet, maybe chat, and access his school on-line site so seems like the 13" $999 white model will do him well (I think).

As for me, I was looking at the one up from that - the $1299 book with a HD of 250 gig, 2 gigs ram (do I need 4?). I am used to PC specs and how PCs work - however there are some differences with Macs. I am gadgety - like toys and don't want to have to expand all the time.

I know I will have to relearn an OS but have some questions.. - am I able to create file folders (like in window to organize pictures into events?) Do I need to defrag the drive?.. how about disk cleanup? Supposedly no viruses - however, if you access a virus, you can send it to other PC machines - so.... I probably should get an antivirus?? What would happen if I wanted to download a game from yahoo? Would it run?

Money aside, I'm looking for a portable, good computer - I'm not a gamer (but play yahoo on-line games once in a while). While configuring Mac 13", 2.4 processor - against a Dell PC 13" (350 HD, it's own video card, with some other bells & whistles), the Mac ends up being about $400 more. Is it worth it? I really do need some guidance here because I'm torturing myself. Any advice or ideas would really be appreciated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome.

Defragmentation is done automatically. Don't worry about it.
    Anti-virus: don't worry about it at all.
    OS X can't run .exe files... meaning any program that you can run in Windows. This means that if you download an .exe, you won't be able to use it.

Ah, the old "It's more expensive!" excuse. Stupid Gil Emilio... Yes, Macs cost more. You're paying for an OS that works. You also won't have to upgrade nearly as often as a PC. A MacBook under basic use will last over five years, easily.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Owch.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the forum, and indeed to the world of Mac. My advice would be to get a Mac (indeed, get two, as you and your husband, by the sound of it, will both switch), give yourself plenty of time to master OS and the differences between the Windows world and the Mac environment (and there are differences), don't be afraid to ask questons, and enjoy.

I switched last April when I treated myself to a MBP, and I can honestly say that it is the best computer I have ever had. At present, I am back in a Windows environment - not by choice - and am missing my Mac (badly).

Cheers and good luck