Need some advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmathews05, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jmathews05 macrumors newbie

I am a college student majoring in Computer Science and Chemical Engineering. I, like many other people, is making the switch from PC to Mac. I have a few questions, and would like some serious feedback please. I have read a lot of posts over the last 5 months or so waiting for the update on Mac Book Pros. Finally they have come out and now I'm trying to decide which version of the 15" should I get. I already plan on upgrading the internal HD to 1TB from newegg. I am curious first off is there a significance different between the 15" at 2.4 and 2.53? I also run CS4 Master Collection, but by no means an I professional or use it every day. For school they require that I run Boot Camp with windows 7 Ultimate, which I also have, another reason for upgrading the the TB HD. I guess i'm more curious as choosing which processor to go with. This will be my main computer for everyday and school use. I don't plan many games at all during the school year, nor do I have time for much PS and any other creative suit program, but I like knowing it's there and ready if I have some free time. I don't know a list of programs I will currently need for my degree. I'm also curious if waiting for the back to school sale is worth it. I don't need the laptop now, but it would be nice to get everything off my PC onto the Mac before school and such. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciate so I don't make a mistake and get the wrong computer for my needs.
    Thanks again

2. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

personally i went for the 2.53 specifically for the higher processing power. i think that either model is fine for your needs, but you should go for the highest model that your budget will allow as it will last you the longest. So if you can afford it, go for the 2.53. If not, the 2.4 is still an awesome machine and should last you some time :):)

3. jmathews05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well essentially my budget is also my financial aid package. My school has a program specifically for laptops and engineering students. They will reimburse me up to 3500, but I'm not sure I will get it all back so I'm still trying to stay within reason. I like the 2.53 model, that would also yield an external drive of 500GB opposed to the 320. Thanks for the advice. I'll compare the 2. the i7 is just a bit too much. Thanks again