Need some advise or opinions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by laffnvegas, Sep 13, 2015.

1. laffnvegas macrumors regular

laffnvegas

I plan to purchase the Mini 4 this next week, not going to order it because I prefer the presentation at the Apple Store it just seems anti climatic arriving via Fed Ex but with that being said have two questions.
    How many purchase the Apple Care? I purchase it on my Apple Watch but have never had it for any of my iPhones nor did I get it with my First Generation Mini iPad I got November 2012 nor have I ever needed it.
    Just curious with those odds should I bother with the new mini 4?

Second question and I know what I am leaning toward but my original iPad Mini had the 16 GB, husband is thrilled to get it as a hand me down ;-) In the three years of only having 16 GB it shows I have used 7.2 GB and have available 5.5. Should I upgrade to the 64GB?, husband thinks I should. I have the 64 for my 6+ I also have 15 GB available in my icloud storage. I have never played or stored movies but with some of the new things who knows I might attempt making some videos.

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Applecare is great if you need it, and I always buy it. Used it today as my wife dropped and shattered my daughters phone. Killed it. So it came in handy today.
    16gb is not enough for me. I have a 32gb iPad and it's maxed out. However different people use their stuff differently and it doesn't sound like you need a lot of drive, but I'm guessing you will hand this purchase down to hubby one day and he will appreciate the storage for sure. Go for the bigger drive if money is not a problem.

3. laffnvegas thread starter macrumors regular

laffnvegas

Thanks, yes definitely leaning on the 64. Hope to be a proud owner of the mini 4 next weekend. Went to one of the local Apple stores yesterday first person I spoke with was a bit stand offish and said they will not be in the store for at least 3 weeks.... then talk with another and he winked at me and said they will be available to purchase on Wednesday. I plan to purchase on line with "In store pick up"

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

AppleCare can indeed be a good purchase if you have a major problem or accident with your iPad. In my own situation, I always buy AppleCare with iMacs since they have potentially very high repair costs due to their integrated packaging and high costs. I do not buy AppleCare with my iOS devices since they all cost less than $1K and I can easily self-insure. I also treat them very well and have no kids in the house ;>)

5. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

I don't believe in Apple Care. Never needed it or would have needed it. Insurance on such a cheap and quickly outdated tech toy doesn't make sense to me. The standard one year is just fine. Any defect will show up plenty early within that one years time.
    As far as storage,.....I recomend 64gb as the minimum for all new Apple devices. Larger apps are consuming a lot more than they did just 2 years ago. Go for the Mini 4 in either 64 or 128. It will be a beast.

6. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

Storage is a bit like an apartment: It's hard to go back to smaller capacity once you start getting used to having the extra space. That, I feel, is the only real downside of going with 64 or 128 GB. But that said, I would definitely go with the 64 GB, especially if you plan to keep the device for a while (it also helps with the resell value).

As for AppleCare, I have never bought and never needed it, but it's the same as with any other insurance: It's a waste of money if you don't need it, and a real money saver when you do need it. Personally, I feel it's too expensive, especially if your device mostly lives at home or in other safe-ish places (I can see it being useful for the watch), so I have always skipped it. If you successfully go without it long enough, you can buy a replacement device from the saved money, if something does happen down the road. ;)

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I always purchase Apple Care. It has saved me on several occasions.

8. laffnvegas thread starter macrumors regular

laffnvegas

Thanks everyone, I am definitely going to get the 64 GB for the Mini 4 but will probably pass on the Apple Care. Like I mentioned I did not get with my previous Mini or any of the 4 iPhones I have had and also never needed it. It was my husband that thought I should get for the watch since it was so new and different but I probably could have gone with out it for that as well.