Need some assistance with my 15" MBP existing SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mund, May 7, 2012.

1. mund, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

mund macrumors member

Hi Folks, Yep another newbie.. :eek:

I need some advice, I made a new SSD purchase after many hours of head scratching online info searching! I gathered it will work or it won't, regardless of what I have that says it should, even though the same works for the other guy that has the exact set-up. I bought the Samsung 830 512GB

I will be installing it in my:
    15" MBP (early 2011), 2.2 i7, Antiglare Hi Res, 6750M 1g, 16g ram, and has an Apple installed as built 128 SSD (TRIM Enabled as purch.), have since installed Lion 10.7.3
    *I know that Apple came out with the 6G SATA for the Optibay late 2011, but I show Linkspeed= 6 Gigabit for both the existing SSD & Optibay locations... could it be due to the SSD already installed as new by Apple?

I have had a few conversations with OWC, I was very close to pulling the Superdrive out and installing a 3G Electra 240gb in there, going 3G to be safe while leaving the 128 SSD as my main drive.

I changed my tune here though. I plan on replacing my 128 SSD with the Samsung 830 512GB drive just purchased. Setting the 128 SSD aside for now, and leaving the Superdrive installed.

I do have some relative questions:

* Should I do a fresh install of Lion & all my software pkg.'s OR use CC / Time Machine to copy/install?__

* Should I use TRIM right from the start, if it works as it did/came with my 128SSD new Apple built?
    __

* This Firmware thing for the new Samsung 830, you can only update with Windows7, not with a mac. The only windows sys I have is a 6yr old HP Laptop running XP Pro. If the 830 SSD does not come with the latest firmware, what do I do?_______________________ Then what about subsequent updates...
    I really don't want to use Bootcamp or anything like that... it's an unknown for me, and want my system all mac. I really am striving for a solid system, I hope this SSD won't give me long running issues. While technical, I am not a daily rip my macbook or iMac apart kind of guy, too busy, active dad stuff.

I apologize for all the stuff I just threw out here... but if you have any tips or helpful advice. I would REALLY appreciate it. I have spent a lot of $$$ here, hope I am on the right track... bottom line, need fast space!

Thanks in Advance ...
    E J

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I have a late 2011 15" MBP running a Samsung SSD.

Fresh install - to avoid bringing over any "crap" from the old drive
    TRIM - chose not to enable and have experienced no performance issues
    SATA III - 15" does not support in optibay at this time

BTW, I read a blog post by a guy who did an extensive workaround to make the optibay support 6gb but I decided to wait for a possible fix from Apple. Much too technical for my tastes.

Just my .02 worth.

3. mund thread starter macrumors member

Would a fresh install be necessary if that drive was formatted a month ago, and I since added apps, Aperture, some plug ins, etc.

Because this is the part that is making me nervous... getting the new drive installed and functional optimally. I have not done any extensive tech stuff with my iMac or MBP just added ram. I've been reading about fresh installs, relative partitions, Bootcamp etc. What am I getting myself into kind of a feeling going on here...

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

5. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

If it was only a month ago my guess is you'd be safe cloning the old drive with something like CCC. Also, I read somewhere that you should remember to verify disk permissions on the old drive before cloning.

6. mund thread starter macrumors member

Not selling the 128 SSD at this time...

Sorry, not selling the 128 SSD at this time... it's a 3g and I may either use it in the opitbay, if not then just keep it and stick it back in this MBP if/when I ever sell it.

I am considering installing it in the optibay to run windows 7 or ? If I figure out how to do that.

7. mund thread starter macrumors member

OK... More help needed!

Are there certain permissions that must be set on the drive that is to be cloned if I go that route?_____

Also..
    The MBP came loaded with Snow Leopard, I then installed Lion. However, do I need to install Snow Leopard first to use the application disk for iWork, iLife 11, or can I still use that disk for install after I go directly with the Lion install?___

I just made a OSX 10.7 Bootable & Install USB which I can use for the fresh install.. never did this before, how do I prep the new SSD for installation (format, partition, etc) or does the install do this?________

Are there certain settings that should be selected as I install... i.e. Journaled, GUID, or is this automatic upon install..? ________ sorry, i don't know this, all new to me!