Need some buying advice. Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by topoftherock, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. topoftherock macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    #1
    Ok, Im a newb and this question has probably a repeat.

    I am in the market for a new Mac and I have a few questions.

    1. Should I wait til after WWDC to make a jump. See if any new hardware is coming out ie, Blk iMac or Possibly Power Mac redesigns? Not to mention any shipping date on the new OS.

    2. In your opinions, and I know this is a very subjective question, but I'd like to hear it anyway. I want to go with Power Mac 8 Core with cinema display or 17inch Mac Book with Cinema. Ive never seen a Mac Book with the cinema display, any issues with video card or performance. Any thoughts.

    I will be using the computer for mostly photoshop/flash based tasks, but will be handling video for web aswell.

    So wait or don't wait, that is the question.
    And which to go with? hahaha

    Thanks guys.
     
  2. WillJS macrumors 65816

    WillJS

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2007
    #2
    1. Should I wait til after WWDC to make a jump. See if any new hardware is coming out ie, Blk iMac or Possibly Power Mac redesigns? Not to mention any shipping date on the new OS.

    If you can wait, I would. If performance upgrades, redesigns aren't primo for you, go now. Its all up to if you NEED now buy. If you can wait, wait.

    2. In your opinions, and I know this is a very subjective question, but I'd like to hear it anyway. I want to go with Power Mac 8 Core with cinema display or 17inch Mac Book with Cinema. Ive never seen a Mac Book with the cinema display, any issues with video card or performance. Any thoughts.

    Lots of thoughts. First one is: Do you need portability? If yes.. obviously get the MBP. If not, get the MP. I'm not sure what ACD the MBP will push.. a simple search shall give us this answer.
     
  3. #3
    Macbook Pro's have dual link DVI so they will power up to the 30" ACD if you so desire. If you want portability get the MBP because if you do lots of work on the go, you will regret not having something fast and with you all the time. :)
     
  4. dirtleg macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    Location:
    St. Louis
    #4
    I was sorely disappointed when the news came out that Leopard would be delayed till October. That was to be my update point for a new iMac.

    My strategy now is to wait till the June release announcements and then make the purchase. Leopard will have to be an upgrade in the fall. I will purchase my iMac in June, whether they are updated or not. It is time for us to jump. A new 20" (or what ever fills that pricing slot) will look mighty sweet in the spot now occupied by our old G3 400Mhz with 256mb ram.

    Upgrade when it is time. If your old gear is getting the job done, stick with it till it doesn't.
     
  5. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #5
    If you don't need a new computer now then I would suggest that you wait to buy. But if you need one then buy now.
     
  6. topoftherock thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    #7
    So do you guys think its safe to say by WWDC I will be able to make a wise purchase. Or is it going to throw me into another waiting spree for a major Keynote.

    Any ideas?
     
  7. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #8
    I think if you can wait for WWDC that would be great, it is of course a risk because you never know what might happen. Either way, you'll eventually get into one of the best pieces of hardware out today.
     

Share This Page