Need some buying advice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello everyone.
    My bday is coming pretty soon, this December, and I am trying to decide what to get.

I have an iPhone 4S and iPad mini. Both could use upgrading. I am interested also in either the :apple:Watch or the pebble.
    Anyway, I have two options.
    (1) Get a used iPhone 5S from eBay or Amazon or maybe Glyde (anyone used this site?) and then get the :apple:Watch on launch day.
    (2) Get the new iPad Air 2 and then get a pebble watch. Then wait till my contract is up so I can get an upgrade and get the iPhone 6S and then maybe the :apple:Watch.
    What do you guys think I should do? I really am interested in the :apple:Watch, but then again I see a lot of advantages in the pebble over the :apple:Watch. Plus buying a used iPhone kinda scares me. Which option should I choose? 5S and :apple:Watch or iPad Air 2 and Pebble???

Thanks.

2. Lachhh macrumors regular

I'd go for the Air 2 and the Pebble.

That's just because I'm not sold on the Apple Watch and customarily skip first gen Apple products anyway.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Any more advice guys? I am really wanting the :apple:watch the more I look at it. It just seems soooo exciting to get a first generation product. Should I go for it and the used 5s, or is it indeed better to get the iPad Air 2 and wait for my iPhone upgrade?
    Honestly the Air 2 is exciting but not that exciting. I used it in best buy and yes touch Id is cool and so is the camera but I'd get those on the 5s too. The air 2 kinda feels (i know this isnt true but it kinda seems this way to me) pretty much the same thing I already have: an iPad with iOS 8 running all the features of the new os. Whereas the 5s seems like it might be a nicer upgrade since I co get the :apple:watch. What do you guys think?

4. Rlong405 macrumors member

Sounds to me like you've very much already made up your mind due to the excitement you are feeling for the Apple watch. Unless anyone here provides a piece of advice which unequivocally tells you to get the air 2 and the pebble then stick with your gut choice and get the apple watch.

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Thanks for the advice! I am still going back and forth and probaly will for the next month but overall I think I will go with the Watch and the 5S simply because the Watch is so appealing and exciting to me

6. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Well, if you've researched, then you need to decide what features you prioritize. Sure, longer battery life on a Pebble (from the rumored "charge every night" posts), but what advantages are you thinking exist in the Pebble over the (rumored) specs of the :apple: Watch?

No need to be scared, just be smart. I've bought and sold several iPhones on Craigslist without issue. There are many guides on what to look for when buying a used iPhone. If you're talking about an unknown face to face Craigslist transaction, then be smart about how and where you meet, etc. (again, many threads on this here on MacRumors). Otherwise, you can find them on eBay or other sites with some degree of protection. for your purchase. Better yet - find a trusted friend who's upgrading to the 6 and buy their well-cared for used 5S.

There's something to be said for the option of two Apple products. They're designed to work and play well with each other. Staying within the same ecosystem may be the biggest advantage of either of these two choices.

But it sounds like you've decided already. Embrace your decision and enjoy whatever you get.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Okay guys I have finally decided to get the Air 2 and Pebble. Simply because I can get a drastically better phone if I wait until next year. And the first gen :apple: Watch would be fun, but I know that the second gen will be a lot better. Thanks for all the advice guys!

8. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Well I am still undecided.
    I have decided that if I get the iPhone 5s, I won't get the apple watch and I'll just get the pebble instead.
    Anyway, I have narrowed it down to the upgrades I will get with either device.
    With both devices
    Touch ID
    Better cameras
    Faster processors
    Updated designs, thinner on the Air 2, quite a bit thinner and lighter on the 5S

With the air 2
    Bigger and more immersive retina screen

With the 5s
    4G LTE
    Better battery life
    Handoff and Airdrop
    Apple watch compatibility if I decide to get it later next year

However, Touch ID and the better camera makes much more sense for me to have on the phone. Also I would much rather have the updated thinner and lighter design of the 5S over the slightly thinner than my iPad mini design of the Air 2. As far as the processor, I really don't mind which device has the faster processor, though it'd be nice to have those really great graphics on the Air 2, I really don't care whether my iPhone or iPad has the faster processor. So basically that means the main reason for going for the air 2 is the bigger more immersive retina screen.
    So now my question is is it really worth it to go for the air 2 just because of the bigger more immersive retina screen, over the 5S?

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

You sound like you really want the :apple: Watch. So just get the Watch and then wait for the 6S next year.

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Well if I get the 5s I'll keep it for 2 years. But I could still get the :apple:watch if I decide I want it.