iPad Pro Need some buying help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dan-K, Jan 25, 2016.

1. dan-K macrumors regular

Hi Guys!

I wasn't interested in the iPad at all. That was, until last week, when I had an iPhone genius appointment and happened to try one out on my way out of the store. I literally fell in love with the thing.

My only issue is, can I justify buying one when I already own a 15" rMBP and iPhone 6S+? I'd be purchasing the basic model (32gb, Wi-Fi) as I have no need for the extra storage or cellular capabilities.

I guess what I'm asking for help with is whether there'll be enough of a use case from an iPad Pro and if it will fit into my current set up? Any advice from others who own the device and have a similar set up to me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I have an older MacBook Pro, and I'm actually going to sell my MacBook and just use the iPad Pro for all of my needs. I still have access to a work PC for the occasional needs I have that the iPad Pro cannot handle.

But if you are planning to keep your MacBook, then I would suggest saving some money and getting an iPad Air or Mini. For the rare times when you need a bigger screen, you would probably be using your MacBook anyway.

3. doboy macrumors 68000

Heck I have a 2015 13" rMBP, iPad Air 2 (4 months old), and iPhone 6S+ and will be getting one myself, while keeping my Air 2 for portability. Just waiting for a good deal on one. You can always find a use case :)

4. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Or to put it another way, life is short and the iPP speakers are loud, so yes, get one! Viewing media on the iPP is a real pleasure. (As is reading.)

You'll discover your own uses for it. And, you have two weeks to send it back if you change your mind. Plus, if your needs change, you can sell it.

But you will want the Pencil. :) And you may also want to think about getting AppleCare+. (A must for me, as I'm clumsy and easily distracted. And work on concrete floors.)

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

My use case? I like it. I really like it. I was never into graphic novels before - comic books were forbidden by my parents and by the time I was independent I thought of them as kid stuff, but I'm thoroughly enjoying Neal Gaiman's "Sandman" comix on the big bright screen. And I'm starting to do a little creative play. I've always been a left-brain person (so much so that I know that the lateralization of brain function is pop psych bunkum), but I'm experimenting with drawing. Hey, I'm retired, I can do what I want. It's a lot less messy than charcoal and paint.

And it's just a great iPad. Since you don't own one, you can't understand how immersive it is to actually physically interact with the computer, without the mediation of keyboard or mouse. It's a whole 'nother experience.

Stick around the Apple store sometime and watch the kidlings. They go straight for the iPads and seem to intuitively know how to use them. Amazing. My first computer experience was a teletype hooked up to a 300 baud acoustic coupler modem.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

6. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Given that you use a 15" MBP I'm assuming you have specific needs for your Mac so this may not apply to you, but I'm my case I sold my iPad Air 2 and my MacBook Pro 13" to use the iPad pro as a daily machine. I gave about a week before I sold my MacBook to see how the transition would work and quite frankly, from the moment I opened the box for my iPad pro I haven't touched the MacBook a single time (until I had to factory reset it :p) so yeah....

As an added bonus the pencil takes the experience to a whole new level, whether you're drawing or taking notes or annotating, it's just more intuitive.

However if you're planning on using it in the bed a lot (I.e. Laptop mode) then I would advise you get a keyboard case (something sturdy like the Logitech one) cos I'm currently using it with the apple wireless keyboard, and it's quite troublesome.

7. dan-K thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your input guys!

I will have to keep my Macbook Pro regardless as for my job I rely heavily on Excel. I know the iPP does have Excel, but I think trying to manipulate large data sets on an iPad would be too fiddly.

I guess I would use the iPP as my go to media consumption and web browsing device and also something I would take instead of my Macbook Pro when traveling.

Hmm decisions decisions...

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

If only they would add mouse support for the iPad, this would become a non-issue.

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

the Pencil makes a fantastic alternative to a mouse on the Pro. just as accurate, but different input thats all.

i too need large complicated Excel sheets for my job and Pencil input is so dreamy. As precise as a mouse, and no fiddliness.

10. dan-K thread starter macrumors regular

Could be an option! Also just seen your from Penarth.. originally from Pontypridd here!

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have you tried just using the on screen keyboard for bedtime use?

Actually, what I mean to say is that maybe the on screen keyboard doesn't work for you for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to need the keyboard cover. Some people are just find with the software keyboard when not sitting at a desk.

12. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Agreed, I guess I should have been a bit more neutral about my comments. I have indeed tried the onscreen keyboard and although it's good for most tasks, I find it difficult to write with it for a long time.

13. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'm a Ponty lad mate. Church Village. :)

14. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It does have Excel or at least you can install Excel. But it's not as powerful as the desktop version. It's quite nice for editing basic spreadsheets but if you use more advanced stuff like linked data from other workbooks you need the desktop version still.

For the record I have a 6+, IPP and rMBP 15". I used to have the iPad Air and Mini. The Mini went some time ago when I realized I was just duplicating the same things on it that I used the Air for. The Air went to make way for the IPP. In hindsight I might have kept the Mini for a more portable device in certain situations but I certainly don't "need" one.

15. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

Agreed. I don't have the Apple Pencil yet, but it's on the accessory list. In the meantime, I've been using a 53 Pencil with Excel and iMovie. The Apple Pencil is the mouse of the iOS world.