Need Some Cinema Display Opinions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lilmitchmitch, Jun 23, 2008.

1. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I am looking to buy either a 20" or 23" Apple Cinema Display, but I have only gotten to see the 30" in person. I am still a student, but looking for another display for added ability to multitask. I have a 15" MBP and have looked into other options, but I would really like the monitor to match the aluminum. I have done some design before, but I am starting to drift away from it, so having colors and such being precise isn't exactly an issue for me. I just want it to look good and serve its purpose.

I've heard some stuff about the display having delay issues? What is that all about? And does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference with the 20" not being "HD"? Or does that just deal with its optimum resolution not being as high as the bigger ones?

I'd like some input from some other people who use a MBP with a ACD, and possibly some pictures? And input from anyone else!!!

2. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

The 20 inch and the 23 inch have the same pixel density (DPI), its just that the 20 inch does not have 1080 lines of resolution which is what Apple defines as 'HD', at least for their monitors. I'm an ACD owner, and I must say there is really very little to recommend it, except for a kick ass design and color reproduction. When I bought mine in September 2006, it was a little more than the Dell, and I got a student discount, which made it about even - but since this time, Apple has pretty much let the line atrophy, while keeping prices sky high relative to the competition.

3. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I too will get the student discount, and will be a high school graduation gift from my parents. So the price really isn't an issue (unless we're talking about the 30", which is too big for me anyways).

I went through the numerous pages of Mac Setups in one of the galleries and found that nothing really compares to the ACD sitting next to a Mac. No other monitor that people had posted looked appealing to me. I like my stuff to be clean and organized looking, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the ACD. Just not sure what size now. I guess we'll see which my parents think, since they'll be the ones buying it.

Thanks for the comment Full of Win.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would get the 23" ACD. I actually own two of these now.

A few weeks back when I purchased a Mac Pro, I was using the display model in the Apple store. They had it using a 30" ACD. Being used to using a 23" ACD already, the 30" didn't look all that much bigger for double the price. I then purchased the 23" to go with my Mac Pro that I was buying also.

Other than size, there and resolution line difference, there is no other major differences.

Like you, I like the clean looks of the cases on everything Mac. The aluminum case on the ACD just looks refined and it matches my Mac Pro perfectly. It will look stunning next to your MBP.

5. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks hexonxonx. I have gotten really excited looking at all the pictures of people's setups. And I'm so ready to own one of my own. I'll be using it at college, so it'll be fun to show off in my room, but I'll be sure to keep everything safe! Can't have nobody hurting my :apple: babies!!

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

you're going to college and speak like that? what have we come to...

lol...congrats on the MBP and ACD:D

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

The ACD is honestly not overpriced compared to other displays using H-IPS/S-IPS panels. The Dell 20" and 30" along with the NEC's are all relatively close in price to their ACD counterparts.

Displays like my Dell 2408FPW use cheaper S-PVA panels. They give up a bit in color accuracy, but they make up for it in other area. Still, since Apple "pro" machines are prevalent in printing, publishing and photo environments, Apple wanted to make sure their monitors were "pro" in those areas, as well, which means they need the more expensive panels and internals.

8. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

HAHAHAHAHA, sad isn't it? Lukly this r teh intraweb n we can talk how we wanna!

It was supposed to be a little ironic - speaking poorly as if I was underclass (sorry, bad classification) while talking about such quality equipment that I'm going to have.

Thank you CWallace for the info. And I'd appreciate more info and opinions! Even some pictures with a MBP and ACD side by side. I've already seen a few and it looks simply stunning.

9. MacPM8 macrumors regular

just bought the acd to go along with my MBP and trust me just buy yourself an ACD you wont regret it :apple:

10. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm definitely looking forward to it now. My dad told me that he wants me to wait until I've gotten my classes all registered (July 9-10) and then we'll take the plunge. That just happens to be the same week of the iPhone ... what a week this might turn into! A gift from my parents, and a gift from myself! :D