Need some clarification ...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by IvanOhio, Jan 20, 2012.

1. IvanOhio macrumors newbie

Ok, Yes, I am a new user of OS X Lion. I am a user of Windows 7 64 bit OS for the past few years. My transition has been relative easy. There some things I am still learning.

However, I have noticed this odd behavior by users of OS X Lion. The obsession with how physical and virtual memory is used. There are those who are up in arms about free memory and even virtual memory. Leads me to these questions:

Why is free memory bad to some using OS X Lion?

Why do some think virtual memory is bad too?

At least this is the impression I am getting.

Appreciate any insight you can give me.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's not bad, but if you consistently have lots of free RAM, then it means you bought too much. Still, way better to have too much RAM than not enough. Always err on the side of too much, especially with how cheap it is.

VM itself is a very, VERY good thing. The "bad" part is that, when you don't have enough real memory, the OS begins to use the HDD as memory and that slows your computer down significantly.

GGJ's link is a bit more informative, and worth a read. These are just the basics.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

And how memory is used may depend on the quality of the application using it.

You were right when you noted the "odd behavior" of some Lion users...that indeed is often the case. I am amazed at how casual users here somehow think they've got a better way to "clean" their Mac systems or use memory or whatever when they couldn't even code a "hello world" :rolleyes:

Rob

5. IvanOhio thread starter macrumors newbie

I think people are thinking mixing up hard drive storage space with RAM. There is a huge difference. After reading a thread in another forum here I can see why people are doing the things they do.