Need some cleaning up iPhone 1.0 and unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ndriver182, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I have to admit, I broke down and picked up a 3g phone today for many reasons. In any case, I do plan to offload my previous 1.0 version. I'd like to clear the phone of all my data and possibly unlock it so it's more appealing to potential buyers. The guides I've found online say to do a system restore on your phone then make sure it doesn't sync any of your info to the phone once the restore is complete. Simple enough, until I see the warning box in iTunes that says:

"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone 'Nick's iPhone' to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed."

I understand this to mean it's going to try to install the v2.0 software. Can I use any of the existing unlocking software on the new 2.0 update? I don't think so, right? So I'm looking for some thoughts on how to clear my data, but not upgrade the software. What if I just sync the phone, but uncheck all options (video, music, photos, e-mail accounts, etc.), which would theoretically erase all data on the phone?

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I don't think that would work because iTunes just wouldn't sync whatever you added since you last iPhone sync if you did that, meaning you're iPhone would remain the same.

What I did when in this fix was a) emailed all my notes to myself b) saved all my iPhone pictures to my computer and c) synced my contacts to Outlook. You don't need to worry about your music or movies becuase that would still be stored in your iTunes Library. I use Gmail, so I didn't need to back up my email. When you have secured a copy of all your data from your iPhone, undock it, go to General> Settings> Reset > Erase all Contents and Settings ( this is with firmware 1.1.4)

That solved it for me. Hope this helps!