Need some college advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yttrium89, Sep 2, 2011.

1. yttrium89 macrumors newbie

So this is my predicament, I bought a 2010 11" top of the line Macbook Air in March to finish my senior year of high school. During the summer, I realized I could save money and weight by getting my textbooks electronically, So I bought a used 1st gen iPad off ebay and that work very well, (so far I'm out $200 for textbooks instead of $400, so the iPad should pay for itself by the end of the year. So I've been doing an iPad and macbook air combo for a bit. Sadly, I've run into a few snags, The dorm wifi is very bad (not unusable) because the building is cement and the best way to to connect is with ethernet (problem 1). In addition, I'm running out of space because I made a snow leopard partition for some compatabiliy problems, and with all my photo's and iTunes, space is getting filled up fast. Not to mention I might need a windows partition in the future. So, I've been thinking about getting a base line iMac and using it as my main machine, it could easly be tethered the an external HD 24/7. But then I feel like I have too many devices. The Air's portably is a godsend because the library is quiet, has AC, and good wifi. But I work allot in the dorm and with lots projects the screen real-estate of the air does become an issue, mot to mention the wifi. But the iPads a textbook to me 80% of the time, so in reality I only have one small computer at the moment.

So does it make sense to have an iMac, Macbook Air, and iPad combo, can you offer me any other ideas? Thank you!

2. 184550 Guest

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Use the ethernet and set up internet sharing on your macbook. Then you will have a strong signal for your iPad.

4. yttrium89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly, I'm at an engineering school, we aren't allowed to have our own wifi networks and they have some software that blocks me from doing that (tried it before)

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Maybe wait for the thunderbolt display and connect Ethernet/external hard drive?

6. yttrium89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly it is the 2010 air, no thunderbolt

7. jbrad567 macrumors newbie

Go find the dean and smack him upside the head for having crappy wifi at a college in 2011.

8. cperry2 macrumors regular

Well either get the usb-ethernet adapter or an imac if you can afford it. You can find a previous gen 27inch for ~$1250 in Apple's refurb site (at least I did, on the Canadian site). It'll be really nice to have the screen real estate, not to mention not worrying so much about space for data.

So it depends on the budget really.

9. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I would buy a router for your dorm room.

I think an iMac/MBA/iPad would be a great combo. Though in college be careful! Things get stolen all the time.