Need some confirmation please on recording.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by opusthe2nd, May 2, 2007.

1. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

I have read a bit posted here, just want to run this by:

Vocals, using a very good recording mic, into a mixer, then out via RCA into a Behringer UCA202 USB Interface, and then into Sountrackpro.

Should give me pretty good audio quality? On a scale from 1 to 10 [best]?

It will then be exported and go to a studio 1500 miles away to be worked with.

Thanks.........

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Impossible to say. What Mic? What are the preamps in the mixer like? The Behringer is a bottom of the line interface, don't know what it is like for sonic quality.

You will have to manage the gain carefully- even with the best equipment, it can sound cr@ppy if one stage is under or over driving the next.

The biggest influence on the sound quality is the room you are recording in and how it responds acoustically.
    Then, probably the performer's technique, mic selection to suit the performer, the mic-preamp quality and suitability for each other, then the interface.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

models, please. but keep in mind a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, including cables. and running at consumer level (RCA) doesn't really inspire confidence.

4. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Room is pretty good acoustically. Dont have the mic model handy. I know it is a Shure studio condenser mic.

Mixer is a fair Yamaha. Cables, dont know, we perform with them and they are fine there.

Mind you, this isnt going to be a multi-million dollar budgeted production. Just looking for something that will record decently, then the engineer will do what he can. I have recorded will lesser equipment than I have mentioned and it all sounded pretty darn good.

So if RCA isnt the way to input, what would one suggest? Certainly not line in?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ideally you would use balanced cables between the mixer (or preamp) and the interface, if both devices supported balanced connections.

6. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Assuming you mean there is a usb/firewire 1/4" or XLR interface?

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for recording? there are bass traps and absorption and such?

normal off-the-shelf cables sound fine until.... you hear better cables :)

understood. gear's only a quarter of the equation, anyway. there's still the talent, room, and engineering skills. hopefully the monitoring will be sufficient to properly place the mic's, that's where half the battle is won.

another is to make sure you record your levels *conservatively* in the DAW. if your signal is getting above 2/3 of the bar graph, you're too hot. if you want numbers, RMS should be around -18, with peaks around -12.

8. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

No, as I sit in the room, it is a room I could sing in and be pleased with the acoustics. Its not like a locker room would be...even though they are a great place to do a capella stuff

Budget issues, not gunna happen.

Understood.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

great place to get beat up, maybe :)

as always, if you like the room sound, go for it. but once recorded, it's hard to undo a room. beware of "bedroom-verb".

btw, is that shure condensor a large-diaphragm or small? i'm a big fan of the ksm32.

10. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

We did the Nat'l Anthem at a game one night. Couldnt find a place to warm up so we went to the mens room, all tile. Way cool sound. We wanted to bring everyone in there. ;)

We'll try one song and see how it sounds.

Its a large diaphram, but not the ksm32. Its not mine, so I am not sure what it is. I figure it will be better to use then an SM58. :)