Need some Constructive Criticism on my Website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Saluki Alex, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I created my fraternity's website a couple months ago with iWeb and I've been going over and over it trying to make improvements and alterations and would like people with more experience and expertise to go over it and help me out.

The site is http://www.siuphisigs.com

Is there anything that needs to be changed, added, or removed?

The one thing that I believe probably needs to be fixed is the picture size of each brother, I'm planning on making it more uniform, but I'll need to set down a block of time to do all that.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

The pictures take forever to load. See what you can do to reduce their file size. Other than that, looks like your standard iWeb website.

3. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

What jng said... Also, the number of links at the top is a little much (maybe try condensing? - Just a thought). Also maybe try a little more dynamic color scheme? No offense, but it feels a little goth to me. Anyway, it's not a bad site or anything, it could use a little more energy though.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Optimise the images for the web in Photoshop or use PNG file they look good and should take up far less space than an uncompressed JPEG.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

No such thing... :D

Using a 80% or less quality setting saving JPEGs will give you the best file sizes. PNGs are good but JPEGs are almost always smaller, as long as they're not set at maximum quality.

6. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I'm going to need to set aside some time to work on the picture page, but the only problem is, I don't have photoshop. Is there anyway to alter them within iPhoto since that's how I imported them onto the site, made it a whole lot easier than any other way?

With regard to the amount to links at the top, I don't think that I could condense enough of them to make a difference, and even if I did condense, I'd imagine that the pages that I did that to would look like I'd gone a little overboard in content.

Now, I understand what you mean by the color scheme, the site is a little "dark" (it is black after all). When I was designing the site, the only template that, to me, looked professional without looking plain (like the corresponding white template) was the black one. If anyone has any suggestions about a new color scheme or knows where I could get a new template, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all the advice and help so far.