Need some digital video help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wanda, Dec 29, 2007.

1. wanda macrumors member

Posted this in the digital video section but got no response...maybe the question was too basic, so i'm posting it here in hopes someone will see it.

i got a panasonic sdr-h18 Digital video camera and thought i could just save the movies from the camera's internal hard drive straight into iMovie but iMovie apparently doesn't read the .MOV file. I tried to download the Mpeg Streamclip but when i dropped a video clip into it it said i had to buy the MPEG-2 plug-in from Apple. If i do buy the plug-in, i'm a little confused...will that just play the video, or convert it to something iMovie can then edit?

I don't know a great deal about video file types, and this is my first digital video camera. I really don't want to use the Panasonic software to edit...you cant even put music over the video...its pretty useless.

Thanks.

Oh, i'm using a MacBook 1.8ghz....OSX 10.4.11

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

3. McGiord, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I not a video expert, but I think you have options, like trying a software before you pay for it.

Search for alternative software that can help you do it, here is one:
    http://www.mp4converter.net/

Probably you just need the plug in you found first or there are free alternatives.
    ________
    free drupal themes

4. wanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Gonna give the mp4 converter a try. If it doens't work i guess i'll shut me yapper and cough up the 20 bucks. Appreciate the info.

5. wanda thread starter macrumors member

Well MP4Converter seems to work but the video seems to loose a lot of its quality when converted to an mp4 or something.

What type of file should it be converted to so i can work with it in iMovie? These are just going to be general home movie type things but i'd still like for them to look halfway decent.

6. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

.mpeg2 --->.dv

Attached Files:

7. wanda thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Thanks. Looks like i'm gonna have to suck it up and buy the plug-in and use streamclip. Mp4converter doesn't have .dv as an option to export to.

8. jacquestheron macrumors newbie

Panasonic sdr-h18 and ImageMixer problems

Hi there,

I've had so much trouble with the Image Mixer programme... I can't even save the video files onto the desk - they just don't open. I also bought Quicktime Pro, and can't open the Image Mixer files from there... Maybe my programme is faulty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Jacques