Need Some Fashion Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irain, Jul 4, 2007.

1. irain macrumors regular

irain

Okay, here's the deal: I'm going out on a date with a cheerleader from school. I won't go too in depth describing her. Simply, she's the typical blonde, tan cheerleader. One thing I'm concerned with is that she criticizes what everyone's wearing; she's one of those fashion queens. Anyway, the date is going to consist of the limo taking us into nearby Boston, dropping us off at an upscale mall for a few hours to do some shopping. Then, we're getting picked back up and brought over to the cinema to see 1408 and then over to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner around 11.

I need to throw an outfit together. I'm not going out of my way to purchase any new clothes so I'll only be choosing from what's already in the closet. I don't want to look too formal or too casual.

Here's what I've put together:

These Armani Sunglasses

This form-fitting Ralph Lauren Polo (same as in photo, just no number on upper arm)
    These Faded True Religion Jeans

This American Eagle Belt
    These Black Abercrombie Sandals

And that's about it. Some minor details are: a yellow LIVESTRONG wristband, a pair of grey Abercrombie boxer briefs and either Burberry or Abercrombie cologne.

So, what I'm asking is for any of you to give your opinion on what I'll be wearing. Should I lose something? Add something? Is the whole thing terrible? Is the whole thing great?

Thanks!

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

I like it a lot. 2 things I would lose are the sunglasses and sandals. Glasses are too dark. You want to have a lot of eye contact with her. But otherwise looks great. I love those Jeans!

Good luck on the date. Have fun and don't stress.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

LIMO?! I've been to quite a few proms and formals and only rode in a limo once. And y'all are taking a limo to go shopping?! :eek:

The Pru?

Granted, I'm from CA and that all sounds like a great outfit for here-ish. But the last time I was in Boston? All y'all east coasters are so stuffy and dressed up. :p Shrug. I dig the jeans, though.

More important than your outfit, however:

Tell me, if all this hassle is just for a (and I'm guessing the first) date, what on earth will you do if there's a next time?! :confused:

4. irain thread starter macrumors regular

irain

Haha, yeah, actually. Copley too since they're both connected by that skybridge.

5. fotografica macrumors 68040

That's one helluva first date (I assume first?) What do you for an encore? Rent the Spirit of Boston?:D j/k

Definitely lose the sunglasses. Way too dark as mentioned above. I'm not a sandal's guy,but sandals seem to be too casual,imo. Rest of it looks good.
    If your date is into "being seen" and "people watching",you may want to take her to Newbury St instead of the Cheesecake Factory.Not much ambience there,even for a first date. She sounds like the Sonsie/Cafe Louis type? Just a thought..Above all,be yourself and have fun..Relax and let it happen...

6. irain thread starter macrumors regular

irain

I'm really liking the Newbury Street idea. Sonsie has a nice atmosphere, or so I've heard. I haven't been there, but I go to school with the owner's daughter; she had him cater to our prom and the food was amazing. I'll definitely consider it and ask my date what she thinks. Thanks!

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

A limo? Geez! It's just a date. I would hate to go out with a girl that judges what everyone wears. That, the limo, cheerleader, shopping = not my thing, but good luck with your date and hve fun.

8. fotografica macrumors 68040

No prob..It's just that your date sounds like the type that would enjoy that atmosphere..Lots of people watching and fashion going on there...

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm.....out of all that, I'd lose the glasses, the shirt, and the limo!! The sandal are fine. I've never heard of True Religion, but I guess they look fine. They're just jeans, after all. Trying too hard to look casual.......and "rich" casual makes me depressed. Look at me, I don't even need to try to look casual. :p

Oh, and I never put much thought into what I'll wear during a date. First dates are usually pretty casual for me. The shirt with the horse/polo player bugs me the most.

Me neither, but people have different taste.

10. walangij macrumors 6502

I agree with this. In my circle of Fashionistas lol, True Religion is kind of a joke, but then for your age/style group it works fine. Don't try to hard, and if your comfortable in your clothes then that is great. It's most important to like your clothes, feel comfortable in them and be yourself. The polo shirt is a little overdone these days, but hey if it makes you comfortable wear it. Just don't try to hard even if the girl is a fashion lover b/c I know for a fact that what she thinks is awesome some will think its horrid, I guess you just need to find out what she likes if you really want, but I recommend just going with what you got, go in dressed confidently/neatly, well groomed, and enjoy yourself.

11. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Take a chill pill. She is only a girl/women/lady.

Is she worth all the expense? It sounds really pretentious. Are you cover up something, maybe you are afraid she will find you boring. If she does it was not meant to be. Say la vi.

The best date I ever went on was skydiving so keep that in mind.

12. one1 macrumors 65816

Quit trying to impress this chick. If this chick digs you, you'll know. Cheerleaders are fun to play with for about 5 minutes then you end up wanting someone to hang out with and talk to that isn't polishing her nails every 8 minutes.

My advice, put whatever the heck YOU want on, show up, and see if she calls you the next day before you pump any money into her.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly. Just because you date someone who's into fashion, doesn't mean she wants to date a guy who dresses how she wants. Even a girl into fashion may want to date a guy who doesn't care about fashion as much as she does. Just don't dress in a way that embarrasses her. I'm sure that's all she really needs. You don't have to worry. If you have the stuff you showed us in your links, you're not likely to embarrass her.

14. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I've still never been on a date, and my wife would kill me if I ever did!

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ditch the limo.

Rent a legit car. There are special rental services for people getting cars for prom or other events. My friend rented a ferrari for prom. Picked his girlfriend up at her house in a F430 :D (though a porsche or high end other car my be a little less over the top).

16. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

damn those sunglasses are NICE, lose 'em for the date.

17. irain thread starter macrumors regular

irain

Believe me, I'd rather take my dad's boxster and drive her myself, but unfortunately I won't be getting my license until the end of the month. And the limo is free anyway; my dad's good friend owns the limo company.

18. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i think your outfit is fine. just make sure you wear something that you are comfortable with so you'll be confident.

personally though, i prefer to wear stuff that has less logo all over:

- tagless wife beater or some dark color tee, a fitted dressed shirt if i wanna be more formal

- casual sportcoat or a hoodie

- darker color jeans

- some beat-up looking belt (like the ones that they sell at urban outfitters)

- no underwear

- sneakers or some casual slip-on leather shoes

- ditch the armstrong wristband, replace with some thick leather ones

- lighter color shades (the color of the lenses is kinda like yours in brown, but the frames are solid brown and the lenses are wider and are more rectangular shaped)

- ditch the limo and drive (i like to be in control, haha)

- go to the beach (or do something outdoor) instead of a mall

edit: choice of cologne would be something clean-smelling. i.e. versace jeans couture, hei by alfred sung, or burberry weekend.

Attached Files:

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yikes!

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

La vi.

What? No one had said it yet.

I'm not sure if this whole thread's a joke, but any girl who needs this much effort on a first date should probably be in jail for driving offences. The whole point of a first date is to find a girl who you like, not a girl who you want to be with, or be seen with. The first step is to get along with her. Then, if the sex isn't great you can hire the limo to keep her distracted.

21. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

easy access! =P

22. bartelby macrumors Core

Just what I was thinking...

But good luck...

23. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Sandles?! Just about the un-coolest thing you can wear, at least here in the UK.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Sorry to be so frank, but is this a rich daddy/neglected/need to impress kind of thing, or is it April 1st? Who cares what labels you've got on your clothes? Presumably you aren't old enough to drive, so what's wrong with the bus?

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Sunglasses are fine

Not really a fan of the giant polo polo shirt- they look kinda stupid to me. Wear a regular fitted polo polo, or the AF polo, or the Lacoste. Just look with the Lacoste- DO NOT put them in the dryer because they will shrink up- up as in a little tiny bit over all and a lot lengthwise.

Jeans are fine

I don't like that belt at all. I think big belt buckles are like that are stupid.

I have those AF flip flops only in navy blue. I don't think they are that great. Go look at J.Crew for some good flip flops.

---
    First off, just because someone is a cheerleader does not mean they are bad people, however if you have to do this much to impress her, is it really worth it. If she is this judgmental that you feel like you have to go out and spend $500 on an outfit for 1 date with 1 girl it seems a bit ridiculous. If she said Yes or asked you in the first place, I would assume she approves of your outfit(s).

My mom is probably the biggest shop-o-holic fashion label whore out there, but she still married my dad and criticizes him daily for what he wears haha.

What stores does your girl shop at mostly?

Oh yea, I went to the Cheesecake Factory in Cambridge and I thought it was horrible. It took 3 hours to get a Hamburger and it was like 11:00 before we got our food, and it wasn't very good.