Need some help. 15 base vs high end

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mansali, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Mansali, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

Mansali macrumors member

I am someone who wants a new Mac Laptop.

This will be my first Mac Laptop!.

I will be using it for school work (coding etc) but might play some games. I am not that much into computer gaming and would have a ps3/ps4 for gaming.

Originally I was thinking of getting a Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display. But as time went on and I played around with someone's 15 inch Macbook Pro and heard about how the 13 inch was a rip off for having such bad graphics.

So my plan was to get the 15 inch model. Now that the 15 inch model is here I realize that discrete graphics are not available.

My ideal choice would have been a macbook pro 15 inch with discrete graphics, 16 gb of ram, haswell processor and 3.0 ghz processor.

But now this is not possible because I cannot get the discrete graphics this way.

Can someone help convince me that the base line 15 inch is better for me??? The geek in me is wanting me to wait and save more money for the higher end model. But I know that I could spend that money somewhere else :p.

Also should I add in an extra 8 gb of ram :p ?

Or do you guys suppose Apple would soon add a DGPU in their lower end model later on?

I just dont want any buyers remorse lol. I wanna be happy with my purchase :p.

2. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

If you are just doing coding and other general school work, you do not need discrete graphics.

3. Mansali thread starter macrumors member

Would a game like Bioshock Infinite play well on the laptop?

And I do not get why they have iris pro and the 750 in the same laptop. If they are so similar in power why have both?

4. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

If you are going to be gaming then get the discrete graphics. In your first post you said you didn't care about gaming on a laptop. The 750m will outperform iris pro while gaming.